Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Overall Season 10 Discussion  (Read 5060 times)

The Dirty Burger

Overall Season 10 Discussion
« on: Mar 29, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Just got done watching season 10, first impression.......

Feels more like the older seasons, definitely enjoyed it more than seasons 8 & 9. So much going on in season 10,  really could've stretched it out to 12 + episodes. I have to go back and watch it a couple more times.... marinate on the brain and catch all the little stuff. Thank you for not making Ricky's character as stupid as he was during season 8 & 9. Lucy, you so don't deserve Rick. J-Roc, felt more like J-Roc. Donna felt more like part of the show on this season as a minor character. Great "night crawler" line Donna! The music was really good on this season.

Almost forgot about Sam, absolutely busted out laughing at what happened to Sam when he fell off the ride. So morbid, yet so funny...

This season brought out the celebrities, the Jimmy Kimmel bit felt out of place for me, as well as Doug Benson's role. I don't see Snoop, Tom Arnold & Doug Benson hanging out together, so that felt forced to me. I also feel its time to lose the Roc-pile... No offense meant, just doesn't feel right. All personal opinion though and thinking out-loud. I would love to see more time spent on developing the plot and characters. That's where the magic is!

Really digging season 10, will be re-watching again soon enough! Thank you boys and everyone else for what you do! Keep'em coming!!!

:julian: :bubs: :ricky: :6paper: :beermug:
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2016, 12:21 PM by The Dirty Burger »

shake

Re: Overall Season 10 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I liked the season!  I heard a few people bitching about spoilers but the ones I heard were completely wrong, so I don't know what the fuss was about.  A spoiler isn't a spoiler if it is wrong.  I guess they are called spoilers because they spoil the surprise for you, but if you are expecting something to happen because you heard a spoiler and it doesn't, then it doesn't really spoil anything, except what you were expecting to happen, which wasn't what happened, so the wrong thing got spoiled.  Or did it?  If the wrong thing doesn't happen is it a spoiler, as in was anything spoiled?

Anyway I reckon I liked season 10.

Officer Dick Lock

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:39 PM »
I loved it for the most part, lots of great lines (I burst my gut laughing when Bubbles dished out the line in my signature) and good character development. Finding out Lahey is Ricky's dad was a total mindfuck. Didn't see that coming in a million years, and I don't know if I like it. It seems like a forced twist to leave something for season 11.

I really didn't like how they basically got unlimited money from Snoop and Tom Arnold to solve all their problems. Very un-TPB like.
Ricky, what in the name of the Easter Bunny's fluffy white cock are you doing firing toasters at me?

Follow @funnyTPBquotes on twitter

Raveen420

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Overall I enjoyed season 10 a fuck of a lot more than seasons 8 and 9. Of course it wasn't perfect however. I had a few tiny gripes:

The "big secret" that Barb was blackmailing Lahey with was predictable as hell IMO, plus it seemed out of place. I mean we've always known Ray as Ricky's old man. So why would you wanna change that?

And unless J.P. Tremblay is done with the show, I highly doubt we see the last of Julian in the park. My money says he'll be back by episode 1 or 2 of season 11, if there is one???

And I thought Private Dancer was supposed to be in jail for a long long time?? Why was he running a surplus store, and why would Lahey want to reassociate himself again with him? Even if just temporarily? We all remember what happened last season...

As others have mentioned, the Boys having celeb friends give them unlimited amounts of money is just lame. That's about as far away from the early TPB as you can get. And I thought Tom Arnold was annoying as hell. I liked the season as a whole, but that part of it was fucked. I cheered when Ricky cranked him one in the face.

At least we found out what happened to Baby Randy. And Ricky thankfully wasn't as stupid as he was in seasons 8 and 9. And J-Roc and his fake Spanish accent and mannerisms were great. And I died laughing when Ricky and Lucy were trying to bang among the million distractions before finally destroying part of the trailer in episode 1. Bubbles exclaiming that the reason why Ricky was "losing his wood" was because of Randy had me in stitches. Ditto for Bubbles masturbation analogy of "feedin' the geese."

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2016, 11:12 PM by Raveen420 »

Raveen420

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:12 AM »
"It doesn't even look like a fucking lawyer's office, it looks like Norman Bates lives here."

I love how Bubbles has to chime in with that. :lol: :lol:

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016, 02:14 AM by Raveen420 »

Raveen420

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:24 AM »
Anyone else agree when I say that I really hope that they don't bring Candy back?

Her whole in your face man hating lesbian, raging, horny She-Hulk schtick got old really fast. Plus I mean it's not like the Boys are gonna actually physically fight back against her.

Officer Dick Lock

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2016, 11:17 PM »
Anyone else agree when I say that I really hope that they don't bring Candy back?

Her whole in your face man hating lesbian, raging, horny She-Hulk schtick got old really fast. Plus I mean it's not like the Boys are gonna actually physically fight back against her.

Completely agree. She was so fucking annoying. I get they're trying to reinvigorate things with some new characters (and some of them have worked) but she was awful. I was just finally starting to warm up to Donna (who I hated at first) when they brought that bitch in.
Ricky, what in the name of the Easter Bunny's fluffy white cock are you doing firing toasters at me?

Raveen420

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:29 AM »

Completely agree. She was so fucking annoying. I get they're trying to reinvigorate things with some new characters (and some of them have worked) but she was awful. I was just finally starting to warm up to Donna (who I hated at first) when they brought that bitch in.

I didn't like Candy from the first second her character was introduced. There's cruelty in the show at times and it's often funny (I.E. Ricky rubbing his bag-sweat all over Randy's face), but this was just cruelty for the sake of it. She/they basically raped poor Randy with that frozen fish.

Sure you could argue that back in season 4 that rape had occurred when Trevor got fucked/attacked by Steve French in the trailer. But at least that was funny, and yet totally preventable had he not worn the leopard print  coat.

gabety

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Candy needs to go.  Along with Don/Donna still.  Of the "Big names" brought in, I didn't like Snoop and I had to google, what was his name, Benson?
I liked the premise of Tom Arnold showing up with money to see the real Sunnyvale he would have seen on TV.  I wish they could incorporate the trailer park more like they did in the first 7 seasons.  The new eps it seems a dump.  They need to make a deal with "Trevor" to get him back.  It was nice to see Lucy and Sarah and Brarb throughout the whole season.  Oh, and a huge shout out to Kaitlin and Laura!  those gals are hot and I love their contribution to Swearnet.  Man "Julian" was a fool to blow them off.
Ho Ho's and Ding Dongs are not the same thing!

Shitrocke

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:02 AM »
This is what I posted on IMDb:

Title: My Overview of Season 10 - It's time to wrap things up.

I know that with this post I'll be labelled as a 'hater' but so be it. Season 10 for me was less than satisfying, to say the least. I love the Boys (specifically Season 1-7 directed by Mike Clattenburg) but this season has shown that they're at their limit (episodes were directed by different members of the cast but not Mike Clattenburg).

Before getting to the whole Pros, Cons and Extras I'd like to focus on the Ending of Season 10. Julian by the end of this season decided to leave Sunnyvale and with that, Ricky and Bubbles, after leaving the park he seemed undecided whether to accept the hitch-hike ride or return to Sunny. But, realistically and ideally it's for the best he'd leave them behind Julian's a smart guy and the two were holding him back plus the whole getting the park -- losing the park and vice-versa has probably got on his nerves too.

Whilst I didn't really enjoy episodes 1-7 I did have a great time watching episodes 8-10 as they were definitely directed and written a lot better than the early ones plus the jokes were actually funny albeit a bit crude. I'll say, if Season 10 had been directed by Mike Clattenburg it'd definitely had been an amazing run.

Now to the Pros and etc:

Pros:
- Randy finally admitted what happened to the baby he had with Lucy (Lucy gave the baby up for adoption)
- Sam tries to always be a good person now (he already was before but the boys kept ruining his life)
- George Green's pun on Ricky's life ~ "Any vegetables around? *Then points to Ricky*"
- Cory and Jacob pretending to play N64 was pretty interesting but with Jacob using a GameCube controller and from the TV it sounded like an Atari game so not too authentic (I know they weren't really playing obviously)
- Randy inserted a big sausage in his mouth all at once.

Cons:
- First episodes of Season 10 last up to 30 mins, then the rest are 20mins, 23mins, 24mins and 27mins (no consistency here clearly)
- The boys are yet again in danger of losing the park (I know it's how the show works but come on, it's been done to death)
- Bubbles offensively insulting Randy, not so much the curse but its tone (as per Bubbles' words -- FÚCKING BITCH!)
- Barb and her Goons
- Candy is freaking annoying (yet the sweet Candy from Season 1 was never to be seen nor heard ever again)
- Ricky-isms aren't funny as they used to be in the older seasons
- J-Roc with the Mexican accent is barely understandable if not for the subs provided by Netflix
- They brought "Your Mom" jokes as if they were comical (maybe for 12 year olds)
- Episodes 1-7 hardly ever cracked something as small as a chuckle from me
- Donna was kind of an interesting for Seasons 8 + 9 but now she's as mean spirited as Barb and Candy

Wasted Potential:
- Last we've seen of Sam he was living in a cave of some sort and got caught so it would have been funny to see him in an asylum or something. Instead, he was running his own dentist clinc.
- Treena never showed up again but it's probably for the best, her parents were a trainwreck.

Here's something some might find 'interesting', Lucy banged not just a few but several dudes: George Green, Cyrus, Randy, Steinberg, Grover, Stewart, Tom, Dean, Ray, Phil Collins and Steve. She didn't bang Tom (Season 10) because he didn't want although he found her to be hot.

And if I had to give Season 10 a score, it'd be 5/10.

I'd really hope that Season 10 is the last one of the Trailer Park Boys because they've clearly run out of ideas without Mike Clattenburg directing the episodes.

themanmachine73

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2016, 06:53 PM »
As a long time TPB fan, let me just say that I really enjoyed Season 10.  I don't know if people caught on to this, but it is something that I did in my first viewing:  this was essentially a callback to and a "reboot" (if this term can be applied) of TPB Seasons 1-7, from the title of the first episode (Freedom 45, a revision of the Freedom 35 storyline of Season 2), Barb, Candy and Donna playing a female version of Cyrus to the celebrity appearances of Snoop Dogg, Doug Benson, and others.  I know a lot of people have mixed views on Season 10, mostly because they have all said it's missing Mike Clattenburg, but even with Clatty at the helm, it still would have been just that damn good. 

But what a lot of people fail to realize is that Clattenburg is now doing Black Jesus, and he already made it clear that after Don't Legalize It, he would no longer be involved with TPB.   I think the other thing a lot of people failed to realize that the Boys have always done what most celebrities won't, stay close and connected to their fan base.  They've done that by constantly touring and talking to the fans via social media, and finally acquiring the rights to TPB, so they could keep Sunnyvale alive.  Most (hell, ALL) shows are not perfect, and TPB is no exception, but that's what I love about it, the fact that it's not perfect but it's beautiful in its absurd vulgarity (let's see Ricky royally fuck that up).  It's what has always put a smile on my face when I feel like shit 99.9999% of the time.

So I am not going to complain or knock a show, cast or crew for putting out something that they, honestly didn't have to do.  As I told them on their forum on Swearnet, I appreciate all that the Boys have done for the show and the fans!
You rockin' loud but you ain't sayin' nothin'....
Too many MCs not enough mics!

FUGEES' "THE SCORE"...BEST HIP HOP ALBUM EVER!!!

Shitrocke

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2016, 06:33 AM »
Machine73, having Mike Clattenburg was vital for the show's authenticity-ness because after he left the boys started getting too comfortable, Ricky became absurdly stupid and the jokes aren't funny. You see, with Snoop giving them unlimited amounts of money they don't have to steal again or bother acquiring money by whatever means as Snoop will help them out regardless.

It's clear that success went over their heads and that's a shame because they completely forgot what made Trailer Park Boys so god damn great.

P.S. In Season 9 they pretended to make Ricky think he couldn't handle death. Yeah, as if. Someone didn't watch "Don't Legalize It".

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2016, 02:35 AM »
It was aight, I guess. I got some good laughs and probably liked it more than Season 8, but it was no new school masterpiece like Season 9 was to me.
  I liked Lahey's doomed to fail breathalizer and J Roc's Tony Montana phase. It was interesting how they flipped the script with him and Flurry from last season with his son getting all serious and J Roc reverting to more of an overgrown adolescent. I'd like to see Flurry come back hard as fuck next season.
   Candy was a big meh to me. I don't share the serious animosity some here have towards here, but she just wasn't funny to me. Margaritte could have been given more. Apart from her greasy trick on Cory she wasn't busting out with the piss and vinegar of last year.
Ricky was awesome as always and they had the right mix for Bubbles this season, too. I really disliked the big twist of Lahey being Ricky's dad. I thought he was just like speaking metaphorically or something at first! Like in season 6 when he calls Ricky "my son". I never even thought of that as foreshadowing. I still hope Lahey has it wrong; that it's somehow revealed to be some big mindfuck Tammy pulled on him and Ray.
I told y'all Private Dancer would be back! Who else can hang with drunken Lahey? They could have made him a bit crazier when he started drinking though. I hope his character arc is like Sam's where he just gets more and more fucked up as time goes by.
  Snoop is great at being natural on camera but I was surprised that he was basically just a straight man. Doug Benson was just along for the ride. I've NEVER found him the slightest bit funny. And Tom Arnold, man, he was just like a parody of a fan like me, only rich and famous. They got real meta there. I wonder how sick of crazy, obsessive fans they get...
   I loved Julian leaving at the end. It would be sad but you know he'll be back. I feel like he's going to run into Tammy or somebody... especially now that Lucy is gone. They're gonna need a new female mainstay and I don't think it's gonna be Candy.
  It was a nice surprise having Randy deliver the standard sappy speech this season. It came so late I was starting to think they had skipped it, like they did bottle kids.
    I felt Clattenburg's absence this season, which I didn't too much in season 9. A little too much crassness for crassness' sake. They needed a bit more heart and shagginess, the kind that's unfixable by rich guest stars.
And Shitrock's in the cradle and J-Roc's hoes
  Little Bobandy and the way that she goes
When ya get outta jail, son? Dad, I don't know when
 But we'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then, Dad.
 We'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2016, 05:34 AM »
Also - I liked that they finally gave us some closure on Randy Jr.
And am I the only one who saw Ricky being revived by pot smoke a mile away? It took them 3 weeks to try that? Cause it would have been one of the 1st things I would have done...
And Shitrock's in the cradle and J-Roc's hoes
  Little Bobandy and the way that she goes
When ya get outta jail, son? Dad, I don't know when
 But we'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then, Dad.
 We'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then

Officer Dick Lock

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Yeah, the minute he went into the coma I knew it would have something to do with pot.

Bringing someone in to play Tammy would be an interesting twist... Ricky having a mom again.

riverman

« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2016, 03:34 PM »
The thing I miss the most is the jokes within a joke that Mike Clattenburg would write into the show. You would say what did he say and rewind it and watch it again. Season 1-3 had a lot of them. I miss the cheap look of the handheld camera the under tones of poor people trying to get by but enjoying life. Now it is about how man fucks they can get into ever sentence. nothing close to being real life.  I really don't like the way Robb plays Ricky anymore it comes off as staged. Nothing like Ray cutting the copper pipes out of his trailer to buy booze funny.

I will never say I won't watch another season but I didn't like season 10 much.

Shitrocke

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2016, 10:25 PM »
The thing I miss the most is the jokes within a joke that Mike Clattenburg would write into the show. You would say what did he say and rewind it and watch it again. Season 1-3 had a lot of them. I miss the cheap look of the handheld camera the under tones of poor people trying to get by but enjoying life. Now it is about how man fucks they can get into ever sentence. nothing close to being real life.  I really don't like the way Robb plays Ricky anymore it comes off as staged. Nothing like Ray cutting the copper pipes out of his trailer to buy booze funny.

I will never say I won't watch another season but I didn't like season 10 much.
And remember what he said? Son of a fucking whore.  :P

Pretty shitty of Ray to get arrested for an ugly prostitute (undercover cop), heck, he should've went with Paradise!

jtotheROCfan

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2016, 04:26 AM »
I think that crucially seasons 8/9/10 fall short because they’ve changed the format away from its Mockumentary origins. The short retrospective interview type segments that were cut in, with the characters explaining what happened, gave balance to the characters and the storyline (and provided the majority of the laughs) A good example is season 5 when Rocky goes to take JROCs recording equipment off him, the interview part with Ricky was gold! (link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYY7M0k7Dgo

The new seasons have abandoned this altogether and its worse off as a result. Each episode is a continual shouting and swearing match, which is ok I suppose, but without the balance it just comes across like a greasy loud mess. A lot of potentially good material in season 10 fell by the wayside as a result. TPB’s value was in its nuance and subtlety.

The material in season 10 is definitely better than 8 and 9, the boys are getting there, big respect to them for that. Its clear there is still life in TPB, I think it’s just the delivery that they need to work on. I know that Clattenburg has left and there’s an element of “we can do this on our own”, but come on! They have a few bucks from the Netflix deal, get him back to direct and write for them, get HIM working for a paycheck!!

I have mixed views on changing the park into a Bar/Casino/Retirement Village. It’s potentially very funny but not if the whole season revolves around it. When Julian opened the Rub n’ Tzug in episode 3 of season 4, it was hilarious, in my mind one of the best episodes ever. Conversely, turning the park into an Old Folks Home for the whole of season 9 wasn’t funny at all, and a bit of a low point comedy-wise. I think when you do this the whole pretence of 'the adventures of some fucked up guys who live in a trailer park' is replaced with 'fucked up guys in a retirement home'. It just doesn’t work.

I think the simplicity and brashness Trailer Park Boys and the mockumentary style hides what is actually quite a complex formula to creating gags. I think Mike Clattenburg understood this and I think the boys may be slowly getting to grips with it.

Someone mentioned previously that the Boys should lock themselves in a room with seasons 1-7 and re-immerse themselves in what made TPB a success in the first place. I agree with that, though I disagree with the idea that they are staying connected to their fan base. I’d eat a pair of Jim Lahey’s piss soaked pants if any of them ever read or gave a fuck about any of these posts.

riverman

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Well said and right on the mark.

Shitrocke

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:39 PM »
^ Totally agree with you!

It would be pretty amazing if they brought back Mike Clattenburg to direct Season 11 because he knows what made TPB so friggin' good and to go out with a bang, he's the man for it.

Anyhow, going to watch Black Jesus now (a show by Mike Clattenburg).  :D

iamwhatiseem

« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2016, 11:58 AM »
   Over the memorial day weekend some friends and I were talking about this very thing - new seasons compared to the older seasons.
  The consensus from everyone was exactly the same - the newer seasons are watchable, and have moments - but lack the magic of the original series.

As with any show, it is all about the quality of the characters. They are failing at this.

The characters brought in the new seasons are too clownish and act like buffoons. As well as how minor characters are portrayed. I hated what they did with Sam's character, having him live in a freaking cave and unable to speak etc. His character offers plenty of material, IMO - this was lazy writing and not that funny. Season 10's Sam was much better because it returned to his original character.
 For God's sake also return Barb to being Barb...not this militarized femi-nazi character...ugh.
  And finally, I think it is imperative to make Lahey and Randy together again. In the new seasons their characters, especially Randy...is kind of unnatural and I don't think they know what to do with them...I do...put them back together.

Here is too season 11... :beermug: .. I have high hopes they continue to improve.

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 12:00 PM by iamwhatiseem »
"What's an aplitude test?"
"It's a suitability test Ricky"
"Ok...I'll wear a suit if I have to...I don't care"

jtotheROCfan

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2016, 03:56 AM »
I totally agree, the characters have gone badly 'off piste' in the last few seasons. A 'lesbian prison thug' Barb would not have been remotely funny in the original seasons, so why would it be funny now?

Bring back the attention to detail of the original seasons, concentrate on the Boys and ditch the continual gay celebrity appearances (i mean, i like him, but WTF did Doug Benson bring season 10, he had like two lines and begged for snacks a couple of times?? His whole reason for being there seemed to be so Ricky could say "Dough Benson, you have some set of lungs on ya"

I watched seasons 9-10 again a few weeks ago and am left wondering if the latest format is indicative of the writers still trying to find their feet after the departure of Clattenburg , or is this the new direction of the show? I sincerely hope its not the latter as there was no need for a new direction. The format worked perfectly, the show stopped because Clattenburg wanted to end it, not because of poor reviews.

Netflix is awash with forgettable low quality comedy shows that bomb after a season or two, TPB has greater pedigree and should have more pride that to willingly dump themselves in that bracket.