Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Overall Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 15021 times)

Raveen420

Re: Overall Season 8 Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Why can't they use Cyrus's original driving song???

Also, Coconut > Donald/Donna.

I wish Coconut would have been used more on-screen as he seemed pretty interesting.

cco

« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I noticed a lot of interesting directors this season -- Corey Bowles, John Dunsworth, even Jay Baruchel.

tODD

« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I keep hearing "binge-watching." I guess, I've always binge watched, because I ordered the complete set with swag of seasons 1-7. I order everything TPB when it becomes available. I'm on my 3rd time the whole way through and several single episodes of season 8. I can't wait for the digital copy to FF or those who have been members before the Netflix announcement.

What most need to remember, this is a new show, essentially. 7 years in the film industry is quite a long time. The boys picked right back up well. The more I watch, the more I like the new season. As I've said before,  season 8 has the same feeling as the first seasons. I'm still catching jokes and references, however, I've yet to watch it sober.  :D
The Park's #1 Peeler Dealer.

iamwhatiseem

« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2014, 01:37 PM »
"My only "complaint" was something happened in Episodes 5 and 6. The storyline in these episodes should have made them perhaps the best of the season, but they were not. I get the feeling everything was hurried. The shots were bad, the scenes did not gel together well - it is as if both shows were shot on the same day, and it was a Friday afternoon and everyone wanted to go home. It just wasn't executed well."

Episode 5 wasn't rushed at all. I was on set for 10 hours that filled 5 minutes worth of screen time.
Fishy

Might be the directing then. I just noted last night that it appears as though different people directed different episodes. Don't want to step on toes...but maybe that was it.
Also - Jesus, congrats on the appearance. I would gladly pay $1000 to appear on the show like that. Talk about braggin' rights!!
"What's an aplitude test?"
"It's a suitability test Ricky"
"Ok...I'll wear a suit if I have to...I don't care"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Lot's of different directors in season 8.
I was happy to get some screen time. Funny thing was that the first time that I was called to do BG, I was there all day and never got used. They still fed me 8)
Second day, on set, was what made it to the screen. It was awesome.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

The111

« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2014, 01:11 AM »
Overall S8 was way better than I expected.  Lots of good new laughs, and not too much time wasted re-treading old territory like some shows do when they get revived after a long layoff.  Some low points for me:
 - Donald/Donna
 - the school/puppet episode
 - the finale was a little bit too dark, but on the plus side it actually really felt like something was on the line and these people's lives mattered, rather than feeling like a cartoon like it has in the past when they go to jail

My biggest gripe is that J-Roc wasn't present in the latter half after he went to jail.  He is so damn good in general and this season was no exception.  Anybody know if Torrens had some other commitment that they wrote him out (via the jail plot) for?

Can't wait for S9!

iamwhatiseem

« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2014, 06:16 AM »
Overall S8 was way better than I expected.  Lots of good new laughs, and not too much time wasted re-treading old territory like some shows do when they get revived after a long layoff.  Some low points for me:
 - Donald/Donna
 - the school/puppet episode
 - the finale was a little bit too dark, but on the plus side it actually really felt like something was on the line and these people's lives mattered, rather than feeling like a cartoon like it has in the past when they go to jail

My biggest gripe is that J-Roc wasn't present in the latter half after he went to jail.  He is so damn good in general and this season was no exception.  Anybody know if Torrens had some other commitment that they wrote him out (via the jail plot) for?

Can't wait for S9!

Second on the puppet/principal episode...I fast forwarded that part. It was a rehash of their live show.
"What's an aplitude test?"
"It's a suitability test Ricky"
"Ok...I'll wear a suit if I have to...I don't care"

EricLeeBrawn

« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2014, 10:33 AM »
I had to binge a few times & let that set in before checking out the discussion. I was smiling and laughing 97% of the time. Season 8 is in my top seasons for sure, already. A word on the passing of time / picking up from 7 / series arc - not that there has to be one or is one but it is possible that those boys always had somewhat of a formula and a few places they would go with it if they could. I like it so far. "How it picked up" or how it "fits" previous stuff is one fairly common area of discussion when I hear people talking about Season 8.

The setting is there, it's cool to learn that Production Designer is still around. Same goes for a lot of the crew. That's contributing to the continuity and success. It being wrote and directed by the people with the "intimate knowledge" and love for it is great. Dunsworth and Bowles Directing episodes, and friend Warren Sonoda who Directed Swearnet The Movie. That's awesome, and was done awesome!  The Canadianity of the whole thing is strengthened by Jay Baruchel and Sonoda. The comedic and other timing was spot on. The cutting of it, sound design, Off Screen dialogue & Foley also had the classic feel which associates with the warm fuzzy appeal that's worked for years. Plenty of dusk & red sky, creatively shot interview scenes, Morris composing still, and cameras on cars.

The cast nailing it like no time had passed!  Jeanna did good.  Addressing the characters aging is far better than ignoring it or trying to stand still in time.  Sarah and Lucy - spot on as always. Torrens still got it 100% and I love seeing Tyrone play a larger role, Jacob too.  The Trin & Jacob side of things didn't bother me and is believable. Jacob's age has never been addressed on the show and could have worked at that gas station young. I've always found the character to be younger or half a generation behind the boys.

Donald / Donna caught me off guard but it does feel like the park. Leigh did a great job. I thought Donald & Barb would end up friends because of all the rock talk & spiritual shit. The story/show still had me guessing & plotting before I saw the outcome, something many viewers have had fun doing in previous seasons. It was engaging and suspenseful enough to do so, and I believe new characters to be a way to continue to achieve this.  And avoid relying on the same old zingers too many times. Don't get me wrong, I like predictable when it comes to Lahey and Bubbles dialogue. It's a huge part of their character, very realistic and Smith & Dunsworth are very creative with it.  But I don't wanna watch it constantly. So I love seeing new characters in the park with more problems and more stories to tell. Donald/Donna was far better than the Thomas Collins character.  Tommy Bean (VLT Rigger) was fucking hilarious, and the Mortician too!

There's some people talking about Randy's boy and J Roc & T's kids. I thought about it here and there but don't feel it's important. It's as easy as Randy Jr was at school when the cameras and Lucy were around. Lucy lives outside of the park and we didn't see her much.  And the co-daddies could have easily been lied to by some Dirties, maybe it's just a sensitive subject. Easily addressed or ignored in my opinion. 

I don't feel Trailer continuity is important. The whole park went to shit a few times over the series and was nearly abandoned once. Residents who are on their second or third Trailer in 15 years is entirely believable, considering. The money saved on trying to match trailers no doubt benefited the Art Department in other areas. 

One of my earliest huge outbreaks of laughter was Bernard Robichaud's delivery. Cyrus boiling over after embarrassment was a great elaboration to his Character's personality and, on that note, it seems Netflix allows more vulgarity which can open up some very comedic options for writers and actors on this show, clearly.  I had to pause after the "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" line and Cory's "Do you have a license & registration to suck my...".  I liked that the characters' insults are tougher and that the swearing is upped. It's even more realistic now.  I'm trying to not write a fucking book here and should get going but Shelley Thompson is also awesome. Barb devlivered all the way through and her season wrap interview sets up more nicely. Again, the warm & fuzzies.

JP, Robb and Mike takes too long. I find their brand the funniest. Great job, admirable dedication and just balancing Swearnet.com, updates from set, Production and post + whatever in fuck comes along while trying to stay in the zone & deliver Ricky, Julian & Bubbles strong as ever... well fucking done and good hustle bringing it home!  I think they did the series well, fixed a few things and improved upon it overall.  It was all there in my opinion.  That feeling - sitting around with old friends on a Sunday night being silly, laughing together, feeling like you all were in Sunnyvale either at the moment or at some point in your life! The show still hits even the grumpiest or toughest of people right in the hearts, and makes the softest and timid of people come out of their shell, roar with laughter and maybe even try something new!
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 09:42 PM by EricLeeBrawn »

cco

« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2014, 06:46 PM »
You can't work at a gas station at 14 in Nova Scotia. Plus, Jacob was in Ricky and Cyrus's GED program in season 2; he must've been at least 18 when the series started. I don't care about age differences in relationships, generally speaking; it's all about context. They didn't meet as adults. He was hanging around the park when she was a toddler, probably got paid to babysit her at some point, and was banging her aunt only a few years ago! That's a bit of an unusual transition for me. To rephrase: Jacob and his father-in-law(-ish) were banging the same woman within a few years of each other.

Agree with you about Barb and Cyrus bringing their A game. Don't care that the park looks different (though they didn't try to hide at all that they were filming in Bible Hill, which is over an hour's drive away from Dartmouth -- it's plastered all over the store signs and even the prison uniforms). The absence of the kids is what bothered me the most, and while you can write it off for J-Roc and T, how does no scene with Lucy and Trinity ever include a line like "have you told your brother yet?" It feels glaring to me.

I mean, I guess you could say that Baby Randy died when his father tried to feed him only onion rings for a whole weekend, but that seems a little darker than this show wants to go.

All that said, these are mostly nitpicks in the end. I loved the season as a whole. Just disagreed with some of their character choices.

Oh, and Thomas Collins was way better than Don(na), if you ask me -- though that may be coloured by the fact I met Mike O'Neill at the TPB3 premiere party, and he was far and away one of the nicest, friendliest guys I've ever met.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2014, 06:48 PM by cco »

abstract3000

Season 8 a sore thumb sticking out
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2014, 08:28 AM »
To make things clear I love the 8th season, it actually exceeded my expectations with them being gone for so long & I'm glad they brought the show back. But there's a couple things throughout season 8 that really stick out like a sore thumb, it may just be me but I was really wondering if anyone else had noticed it as well.

first, is trinity the same actress just grown up? What do you think of her acting skills, for instance when ricky brings her the stolen goods from the mall and tells her he's happy for the pregnancy, she was absolutely emotionless , it looked very awkward for the two and I kind of feel that way about any scene there's any interaction with her.

Secondly, I'm taking it 2 shows at a time before I decided to end it and unfortunately I only have ep 9 & 10 left :( (wish there were more) I have yet to see any scenes with her and Jacob together as if they purposely split them apart on the set, i think there was a brief second they are standing next to each other at Julians bar when Sarah is discussing the roof but  thats all i have seen.

I was just curious if anyone else noticed this and your thoughts or if it is just me

riverman

« Reply #35 on: Sep 11, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Why are they using so many directors?? Are they going to pick one to stay with?
I miss those little things in the Background that Mike used to catch your eye and made it all feel real.
Maybe next year they will have the girls screw over the boys and start a new story line.

rockybob12

« Reply #36 on: Sep 12, 2014, 09:29 AM »
LOVE IT! I'm almost finished watching the season, and loved seeing all my favorite characters make appearances! I haven't been on the board in quite a while but had to make a few comments after reading this thread.

I think continuity is over rated! The missing toddlers are really a good thing as trying to fit them into the story line would have been a problem , not to mention the extra cost for the production.

Don't really mind the Don/Donna character as it just adds to stable of Trailer Park eccentrics, and gives poor Randy another confusing sexual dimension that he has to figure out.

I do miss Ray, as there were times in past seasons that I felt he was a mature catalyst for the boys to play off of, and welcomed his misplaced wisdom.

My only knit pick? Cyrus has a new leather jacket...I LOVED THAT OLD ONE!! Go and find it!!  :lol:

cco

« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2014, 01:05 PM »
They wouldn't have been toddlers -- in story time they'd be 10 or even 12, depending on how long you think Ricky spent in jail after Say Goodnight. Easily fudgeable.

Anyway, the "official" answer from the AMA is that Randy sent the kid to live with relatives so he wouldn't be influenced by Ricky. As for J-Roc and T, well, I guess they lost them on tour somewhere.

Koopa

« Reply #38 on: Sep 24, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Between the Orangie episode, The Dirty Dancer and all the Rickyisms how could I not like this season? I actually don't mind the Don(na) character that much but it does bug me a little that Lucy didn't get more screen time throughout the season.

ranranbobandy

« Reply #39 on: Oct 01, 2014, 11:32 PM »
So since this season was released I:
~Watched the whole season
~Watched every episode season 1-8 over again for the... 5th time overall??

whose got me beat?

Koopa

« Reply #40 on: Oct 02, 2014, 09:11 PM »
So since this season was released I:
~Watched the whole season
~Watched every episode season 1-8 over again for the... 5th time overall??

whose got me beat?

I've seen each one 3 times but I watched the Goldie episode and Friends with Benedicts at least 7 or 8 times lol.