Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Official TPB 3 Don't Legalize It Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 20336 times)

knockknock24

The movie was great. There were a couple of things that I don't think were adressed like Randy and Lucy's kid and where he is (unless I missed something) but other than that it was fantastic. Much better than Countdown to Liquor Day.

"Thats a hard cock to suck Ricky"
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2014, 09:26 AM by shake »

Kanadon

Re: Official TPB 3 Don't Legalize It Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2014, 08:20 AM »
The movie was shit IMHO.
Swish is this old, dirty, shitty-tasting home-made fucking liquor that you can, oh, you can barely get her into ya.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2014, 08:30 AM »
The movie was shit IMHO.
what was your problem with it? Seems like your the only one hating!

shake

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2014, 09:28 AM »
OK so I see the reviews are coming in cool!  I separated this from the thread about the movie date so people can discuss the movie here, and people wanting info about release dates can still view the original topic without seeing spoilers. 

If you don't want to see spoilers stay out of this thread!

Myself I was very  happy with the movie, great story and some good laughs

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2014, 09:31 AM by shake »

shake

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Here’s some interesting info about the movie I found at
http://www.eonefilmsmedia.ca/pdfs/Trailer%20Park%20Boys%20Don't%20Legalize%20It%20-%20Production%20Notes%20-%20Final_e1sptjwj.pdf

Setting the tone for a truly Canadian production, the temperature on the first day of
shooting was a balmy -35 degrees Celsius (with windchill), leading to the Boys' VW
Camper failing to start. While the crew had to physically push it into frame, Pat
Roach (Randy) drove a Segway, with his signature shirtlessness, never once
complaining about the bitter cold whipping against his bare torso.

When the elements didn't threaten to freeze out production, other forces of nature
intervened to present obstacles which our intrepid cast admirably overcame - one
week prior to filming, Bernard Robichaud (Cyrus) required surgery for a knee injury,
and completed the entire shoot with a cast covering his thigh to his knee. He could
barely walk from the pain - and if you watch closely, you'll notice that in every scene
featuring Cyrus, he's either sitting or standing in a stationery position. Lucy
DeCoutere (Lucy) took leave from her employment as Captain in the Canadian
Armed Forces to work on the film, and Jacob Rolfe (Jacob) made the trek from
Guatemala to be involved.

While Cyrus remained still in one spot, the rest of the cast kept mobile. Robb Wells
(Ricky) did all his own driving in the film, which is all the more amazing when you
see what and how he drove. He even drove the bus. One month after filming, Mike
Clattenburg was driving the Lincoln Continental which John Paul Tremblay (Julian)
makes use of in the movie, when the master cylinder exploded spewing brake fluid
all over the engine, which ignited. The car was soon engulfed in flames. Neither
Mike nor his passenger were injured, but sadly, the car was a write-off.

Of course, it doesn't matter what mode of transportation the Boys use - when they
show up on the scene, it's hard to go unnoticed. The scenes in the movie that were
shot on Parliament Hill in Ottawa took place on April 20, 2013 – the same day that
10,000 people descended on the Hill to protest Canada’s marijuana laws. The team
hired extra Ottawa police for security on the two days they filmed there, but they
could have used extra security to protect the cast from the Ottawa Police. At one
point, five additional police cars appeared (none of which were hired by the crew)
on set so that the police officers could get their pictures taken with the cast.

Mike Clattenburg devised a brilliant plan to sneak the Boys onto Parliament Hill
without being noticed by the 10,000 attendees (many of whom were huge fans of eOne Films
the show) by hiring 50 background performers to surround the Boys and walk en
masse up and into Parliament Hill, cameras rolling the whole time. Only at the last
minute did the onlookers realize that Ricky and Bubbles were walking among them.
Of course, no real drugs were used by any of the performers during production.

I was lucky enough to have been there when they shot some of the scenes in Ottawa.  Every 420 a large crowd gathers on the Hill for a legalize pot rally.  I don’t think the TPB peeps knew just how large the crowd would be.  A casting call was put out and shared by others on facebook asking for people to do background work on Parliament Hill on 420.  The 420 organizers heard of this and put “Featuring the Trailer Park Boys” on their poster, without the knowledge of the TPB.  Anyway the scene where Ricky bribes the people in line with weed so he can get in the line was originally shot nearby the Hill under more controlled conditions.  They did not know how things would turn out if they just showed up on the Hill with that crowd, so they shot under the controlled conditions first, just in case things did not turn out.  Org member stakegirl was one of the bg actors in the lineup, and I got to meet her that day. 

Anyway things turned out, Clattenburg was very happy with the footage they got.  I am linking another article with info about it and a youtube of the shoot taken by somebody who was on the Hill.  When people noticed Ricky they started screaming out RICKY, but as you can see in the video, and in the final film it was not a problem.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/642142/trailer-park-boys-invade-ottawa-and-420/

It is a cool video!

Kanadon

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 02:55 PM »
The movie was shit IMHO.
what was your problem with it? Seems like your the only one hating!
I had 2 people with me and they agreed that it was weak and very boring at times. There were some sparks that I thought would kick things off, but that never happened. The swearing felt very forced and annoying. Why is there such a need to come up with awkward swear words? Not enough Lahey, no Ray (fuckin' "$11,000 would last forever in Florida dumps" line was hilarious as shit), not enough clever jokes all around basically. And, "to add assault to injury", I didn't realize it was Good Friday and the liquor stores were closed, so I was forced to watch it sober. Shitty mall dope didn't help.
Swish is this old, dirty, shitty-tasting home-made fucking liquor that you can, oh, you can barely get her into ya.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Too bad you didn't enjoy it, Kanadon. I felt the flow was pretty good and they showed us a bunch of past characters that we haven't seen in any of the movies. I liked all the new Rickyisms and the crafted swearing. Having Marc Emery's wife in the movie was a cool score. Jim Nunn? LOL Both of them were cool, on set (I did background in that scene). Got to see a couple of ORGsters in the movie too and Clatty even managed to get his father-in-law some screen time.
The tough bits for me were seeing my friend, Rick Cameron (Phil), on screen after he passed away a year ago. Not a big fan of bringing Coke into it. I didn't like when Lahey suckered Ricky when he was handcuffed.
All in all, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing it again and also Season 8.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

gabety

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2014, 07:49 PM »
No RAY?
Ho Ho's and Ding Dongs are not the same thing!

shake

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Ray is in it briefly.  He does play an important part :)

roxane

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2014, 09:32 PM »
loved the movie, seen it last night and thought it was hilarious.. great storyline, and the guys did a great job acting in the cold temperatures, especially randy, filming with no shirt..brrr. the whole theatre was laughing at Julian and his "liquid gold" plan..it was great to see Phil Collins.. cant wait to see what they got in store next..

Josh

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I have to agree with you fishy regarding the coke. I have no problem with weed or other natural drugs, but was not a fan of lahey on the coke hard!

cco

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Coke worked well with the black-and-white movie version of the show, where the characterizations were unrelentingly dark. It doesn't fit anymore with the cheerier, more laugh-line-oriented TPB of 2007.

I enjoyed the movie greatly and I'm sure I'll watch it again many times, but let's not pretend this is the same show it was even in season 2. While I've come to enjoy the later seasons on their own merits, the brutal satire of urban poverty culture in the B&W movie and season 1 is something I prefer as a matter of personal taste to the self-conscious three-man-band screwball comedy it became in later years.

I was also kind of disappointed by them treading the same ground with Randy and Lahey that they have before. I felt like their relationship arc reached its natural conclusion in "Say Goodnight", if not earlier. Another couple seasons of Lahey's Rube Goldberg schemes to get the boys in jail being constantly foiled by his crippling substance abuse just isn't an interesting thread for me. Shake it up a bit. Hell, have Treena return as a hardboiled RCMP investigator determined to bury her father and all of Sunnyvale along with him, and then Lahey and the boys have to ally against her and Barb. (Not likely, obviously, now that Ellen Page is a global star.) Just do something different.

And while we're at it, I was disappointed they wrote out Randy and Lucy's baby and the co-babies of J-Roc and T, who would be 8 now and of perfect age to be the next generation of bottle kids, with Trinity in a parental role since her parents are so clearly unsuited to the task.

This may sound like I hated the movie, and I didn't. I fucking loved it. But the concept could stand some renewal, if you ask me, and I wish the show would return to its earlier roots. When Lahey sniffed the remnants of his "white liquor" off Randy's briefs, it was one big gross-out nudity joke. When Julian in the B&W movie did a line while reminiscing about killing his puppy and then put a full clip through the wall of his trailer, it was still hilarious, but in a much grimmer and more subtle way -- and one that will stick in my mind a lot longer than this movie did.

Kanadon

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:44 PM »
It doesn't fit anymore with the cheerier, more laugh-line-oriented TPB of 2007.
I like the cheery part when 2 cops try to murder 3 people. Or the part when the boys are about to murder Jacob for wearing a wire.

shake

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I think my favorite line of the movie was when Cyrus said that Sam worked for KD, which is fairly inexpensive :)

NotCanuckguySeriously

« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:08 AM »
Sweet movie  :6paper: :ricky:

:perv1:

walterx2

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Rob, Is that you? How you been?
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Chantal

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Another couple seasons of Lahey's Rube Goldberg schemes to get the boys in jail being constantly foiled by his crippling substance abuse just isn't an interesting thread for me.

I'm emerging from the shadowy depths of my Grad School Cave to say that I 100% agree with this so much. Lahey's been tossed into this hamster wheel of repetitive plot and repetitive humour, like once the writers realized what fans responded to they just kept the character there, and they're trying to make Lahey different by taking him to extremes (boo to the coke idea), but they're just pushing him further into this rut in his character development.

I hope his whole being retired in season 8 shakes things up for Lahey and his role in the series!

shake

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I should point out that the storyline of this movie, like the Big Dirty, is like an alternate universe to the TPB series of TV seasons.  The stuff that happened in the movie will not carry through to season 8.  I don't know the deal on Lahey, if he will be retired or not, but when season 8 starts, this stuff never happened!
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2014, 06:39 PM by shake »

shake

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 05:15 PM »

I was lucky enough to have been there when they shot some of the scenes in Ottawa.  Every 420 a large crowd gathers on the Hill for a legalize pot rally.  I don’t think the TPB peeps knew just how large the crowd would be.  A casting call was put out and shared by others on facebook asking for people to do background work on Parliament Hill on 420.  The 420 organizers heard of this and put “Featuring the Trailer Park Boys” on their poster, without the knowledge of the TPB.  Anyway the scene where Ricky bribes the people in line with weed so he can get in the line was originally shot nearby the Hill under more controlled conditions.  They did not know how things would turn out if they just showed up on the Hill with that crowd, so they shot under the controlled conditions first, just in case things did not turn out.  Org member stakegirl was one of the bg actors in the lineup, and I got to meet her that day. 

Anyway things turned out, Clattenburg was very happy with the footage they got.  I am linking another article with info about it and a youtube of the shoot taken by somebody who was on the Hill.  When people noticed Ricky they started screaming out RICKY, but as you can see in the video, and in the final film it was not a problem.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/642142/trailer-park-boys-invade-ottawa-and-420/

It is a cool video!

Here are some pics I took that day, first here is a pic of Precious Chong (Tommy Chong's daughter) speaking at the 420 event.  You can see clearly the “Featuring the Trailer Park Boys”  on the poster.

The filming of Ricky in the lineup

Here's a pic of the vehicles being loaded up after the shooting in Ottawa.  This was around the corner from Parliament Hill

iheartricky

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Nice pics! Can't wait to see the movie!!

"This is drugs?"

gabety

« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Rae Dawn is way HOTTER.  But I'm at mid 50's guy and that is just my opinion. 

truealabamatpb

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2014, 10:22 AM »
It was not as good as i hoped it was,but hey its NEW tpbs what more can you ask for.Now i need season 8 to get here.

The Dirty Burger

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2014, 08:14 PM »
My initial thoughts on TPB3 (Blu-ray)... decent, could be better could be worse. Will watch again and let the movie absorb better. Hard to fit TPB's into a movie/big screen mold. TPB's flows better as a series & specials. Too many plots & too many characters for a single movie to pull off.

Didn't bother me to see Lahey doing cocaine. It's not like being a hardcore alcoholic is better/healthier.  Fitting for Lahey's personality. Didn't, however, like what they did with Julian's character/story. Bubble's moms is HOT! Time for nudity on TPB? yes/no

It was mentioned that the storyline/plot of TP3 will not be carried over into season 8. Like the rest of you, I had hoped for & am thankful for more TPB's. It's a unique show... Please slow down.... quality over quantity!

TPB3 is worth seeing & worth owning. Didn't want to talk about the movie overall too much before more people have had a chance to see it.

Enjoy!  :6paper: Erkle  :julian: :bubs: :ricky:  :beermug:

Vimanas

« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2014, 05:45 PM »
It met my expectations, decent story and plenty of laughs - what more could I want or say about it on that front.  One comment though to address some of criticisms brought up in this thread, and I may be in the minority, but I like the darker tone of Don't Legalize It and Countdown to Liquor Day. 

These two sequels felt more like a marriage between the grittier vision of the first couple seasons of TPB but with a hearty dose of absurd comedy that made the later seasons excellent in their own right - which is probably the strongest way to tell the stories of these characters.

Trailer Park Boys is at it's best when it is a balance of disturbing, sad and the pure silliness and joy that gives their universe depth and realism despite the absurd circumstances utilized for comedic effect.   

gabety

« Reply #24 on: Aug 20, 2014, 10:59 PM »
I watched TPB3 this week.  I was really glad to see some new TPB content.  But like the first two movies I just didn't connect with them like I do the TV eps.  Especially once it's over and you go back and "break down" the movie.

It was good to see "Phil" yet sad at the same time realize the "Mustard Tiger" was gone forever.  I guess what I don't like about the movies is they try to cram everyone into the story and sometimes that doesn't make sense to the story.  I understand they want to connect to the series but for instance "Sam", he really didn't add anything to the plot line.  For that matter "Phil" didn't either especially since the "Dirty Burger" use wasn't central to the plot.  Lucy and Sarah, they were just window dressing (looking good by the way) adding nothing to the plot.  With a full season recurring characters like most of the people are besides Ricky, Julian and Bubbles have plenty of time to contribute without writing a 90 minutes feature length movie around one and all.  I do appreciate the movies are made for the most part as separate (continuity wise) from the series. Glad to see "Ray" still kicking in South Florida.
I may sound down on the movie but like I started, it was good to see new TPB content.  Long live The TPB.