Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Official Countdown to Liquor Day movie discussion thread. CONTAINS SPOILERS!  (Read 33166 times)

nelson84

There were numerous scenes that were clever, serious, touching and comical.  The scene where Ray was inspiring Ricky with jumper cables in hand was noteworthy.  Another was a touching scene with Bubbles and Julian in the Montecarlo, when Julian floated the notion of torchin' the car to raise money to free Bubbles' kitties from the lock-down at the SPCA.  Lucy reading the letter for the results of Ricky's grade 12 was a key turning point to the heist.  Bubbles at the SPCA making a connection with a compassionate [female] employee was refreshing.

Yes I thought the jumper cable scene was very clever, not intended to be funny but a good scene.

I liked the Bubbles girl story as well.  I thought I may have seen her at the party but I couldn't tell if it was her on account of everybody looking so different when you sit in the second row :)

You didn't get the joke with the jumper cables?  He was saying ricky gets all of julians negative energy but he had the cables wrong and in reality Ricky is getting all of julians positive energy and giving julian ricky's negative energy.  I thought it was funny.

shake

Yeah I got was he was saying, I was just thinking it was a good explanation of the situation.  Well written, more clever than funny, I didn't think it was a "joke".

golfinwithflames

Re: Official Countdown to Liquor Day movie discussion thread.
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Wow, that was even better than I imagined it would be. The movie, not the nutty bars and Pepsi. Although, they were pretty fucking awesome, but the movie was great. I saw Tiggy, for fucksakes! Lotsa other cool cameos as well, but I guess it's best to not say too much yet.

Other than, thanks again Boys and co., for everything, but especially for keeping it alive.

mzupeman

« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I'm very happy Clatty stayed faithful to the Trailer Park Boys formula for this film.  The first movie was great, but it wasn't 'the same', although it did a good job at acting as a vehicle for pulling new fans into the saga.  Mike, however, was able to stretch that half hour formula out to an hour and forty minutes flawlessly.  Everybody had their own personal storylines going on for them, they finally hit their character arcs, life defining moments.  The story that was told was good, and there was heart in this film, and there were extremely funny moments as well as very serious and even sad kind of moments.  You know your character development is paying off big time when that happens with a group of characters such as this... bravo Mike C.  Bravo!

ucrdoh

« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:24 PM »
I don't know where to put a review, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone either. So it will be in the spoilers box.

I'm not sure about this one, I'm not saying it is bad, but it for sure is different, you know you're going all or nothing on this one.   People are truly changing, growing up, the show tackles the issue of alcoholism really hard too.  There weren't that many laugh out laughs, at least from my point of view.  Who knows, maybe ricky fighting lahey gets old, or randy, not sure.  Although, it was nice to see some good things.   Bubbles almost getting a girlfriend, i hope, he deserves it. J-Roc finally making it, that was nice, the spat between him and T was sad.  But it made me realize that people eventually want to move on from that life, some do, some don't.  Didn't really emphasize the ricky/lucy relationship.  Yet it did show Julian may not be the leader he's cracked up to be.  Or he's just getting desperate.  The drunk cop thing was funny though, I must admit, seeing the cops fight each other was a classic.   But I think this was the most serious trailer park boys episode/movie yet.  Not saying that is bad, I may have to watch it again.

Edit: thanks just removed spoiler tag.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010, 08:03 PM by ucrdoh »

shake

« Reply #55 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I don't know where to put a review, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone either. So it will be in the spoilers box.

In answer to your question discussions of the movie go in this thread, so I moved it here for you.  As you can see the title of the thread has a spoiler warning so you don't need spoiler alerts in this thread.

English Bastard

I have just seen a short clip and read the comments on y/t and well if it's what I think it is :jawdrop: all I can say is sorry ladies but remember it's only a movie, sweet dreams.
peter
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

Ms Vee

I watched the movie again, for the 4th or 5th time, with some good friends on Saturday night.  The scene where Bubbles is outside the trailer, working for Lahey, and Lahey is instructing him on what he wants done, babbling incoherently. Bubbles says "I don't understand what you're saying!" ROTFL Gets me every time.

Chantal

LOL! I agree, Vee. I think that whole scene is brilliant, from Jim kicking through the door to when he runs back inside, the look on Bubbles' face the whole time? Some of my friends refuse to watch the movie but I always have to show them that scene and they're laughing so much by the end that they end up watching the whole thing anyways. :lol:

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
Well I finally got around to watching "Countdown to Liquor Day" on Thursday night.  Probably one of the last people from The Org to do so  :? It wasn't planned that way, but that is the way it worked out.  Over all I really enjoyed it quite a bit. Like people have mentioned before it was a bit darker than the series or movie.  But I would not call it a "Black Comedy" either. It was very sad to see the "Sunnyvale" set all semi-broken down and about to be demolished. Glad to see Bubbles get a girlfriend.  I watched the movie with commentary on Friday and I really enjoyed that as well. Great job to Shake, Fishy Neil and Tiggy Puddin on that  :D

shake

Thanks David :)

scott488

Like David, I just saw Countdown (thanks Netflix!!!!) and I thought it was great. I suppose if you had never watched TPB, alot of it just wouldn't make sense to ya. As for laugh out louds...there were plenty! C'mon Randy's magic marker hair fix....funny. But I also agree with David that seeing the old Sunnyvale all grown over and ready to be bulldozed and the scene where Lahey has a "construction accident" with Success Autobody really marks an end to TPB as we know it. And I would have liked to see more of Sarah,Lucy and Trinity also. Hell even more Phil Collins, BAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMM. But at the least the ending really did leave you with the feeling there could be more. Let's hope so. TPB for life....peace mahfackas. :julian: :bubs: :ricky:

Tiggy Puddin

I got this late review of the movie sent to me today, interesting to read a US TPB virgin's opinion of the movie. ;)

As someone that's spent a  great deal of time rocked off his ass, it's hard for me to find people pretending to be drunk funny. Luckily while Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day would lead you to believe it's comedy lies in the exploits of drunk Canadian trailer trash, the writing (and more importantly it's cast) aspire to so much more and thankfully deliver. Simply put: It's pretty damn good.

Following  Ricky (Robb Wells), Julian (John Paul Tremblay), and Bubbles (Mike Smith) after their release from prison, the boys return home to find their trailer park lives shattered. Ricky spent his his time on the inside attempting to better himself, and has come up with a 4 year  business plan to turn his trailer into a body shop. The evil (and gay) trailer park superintendent Leahy (John Dunsworth) has alternate plans for Julian's little slice of heaven, and immediately sets out swindle  the boys out of their land. That's where the film starts out, but where  it ends up is somewhere altogether different. The storyline has an  overall arc here, but the plot never lingers too long in one place. After seven seasons the writers know the these characters are at their best when thrusting them into new situations and then allowing them to  fuck things up accordingly. The film works when the characters are  simply allowed to interact with one another, as the chemistry here is  beyond awesome. Even some of the smaller side characters (J-Roc and T especially) float in and out of the story with expert ease, creating an  environment where you truly believe all these characters live and exist  within the same trailer court.

The story is told from the faux documentary style that is so overused these days it's easy to dismiss. Trailer Park Boys definitely breaths fresh air into it and milks the convention for all  it's worth, almost taking the style into new directions by actively involving the film crew more than we're used to seeing. Members are the documentary crew are constantly interacted with and being berated, with several of the members actually injured during the film's climax. I totally found that level of interaction is refreshing. On paper there are a lot of things here you don't think are going to work. The subject matter, the shooting style, you almost have to wonder if some of the Trailer Park Boys charm doesn't stem from the fact they're Canadian. It seems America can no longer white trash as our national export. And "aboot" never gets old. Never. Especially when it's coming from people of color.

Two of the film's standout performances come from Ricky and J-Roc. Robb  Wells doesn't just chew scenery, he mouth fucks it. His character Ricky is able to walk that super fine line of hilarious and annoying. Vince Vaughn on the airplane in Made turned down half a notch to brilliance. And while there's nothing exactly funny and exciting with the "white guy turned gangsta rapper" role by itself, Jonathan Torrens does a superb job taking a character you think you're going want to castrate and sells that shit, so much so  in fact that he's given the final bit of screen time over the credits (I might have to also attribute that to Canadian charm as well). It's also worth a mention that there's nary an unattractive female in this  movie, although that could have more to do with my predilection for  trailer park woman.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the Trailer Park Boys before this DVD showed up in my mailbox. Countdown to Liquor Day definitely made a Trailer Park Boys fan out of me. This film is a fitting send off to what I'm sure was a great series. I can only imagine true fans of  the series find it an all too bittersweet reminder what a great time  hanging with the Boys must have been.

The film comes in both French and English 5.1 Dolby Digital. I assume this is because half the people up there speak French. The commentary track features three of the Trailer Park Boys fan site moderators, which is kind of a cool move. The alternate ending  and deleted scenes are mostly weak sauce. Most interesting of all the featurettes is 'Randy Gets a New Look' which details the process of  applying Randy's painted on hair while Gavin Rossdale's solo album  plays in the background.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23366/1/DVD-REVIEW-TRAILER-PARK-BOYS-COUNTDOWN-TO-LIQUOR-DAY/Page1.html

Yeah, half the people in Canada speak French, half speak English, but I'm not sure about the rest.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010, 08:59 AM by Tiggy Puddin »

JAG

You know, the movie has a LOT of subtle laughs in it...things you may not catch the first time. I've seen it multiple times yet I have friends that have only seen it once or twice and when I mention something like "...remember in the scene when...?" and they'll be like "HUH?" (Okay, my English teacher would NOT appreciate that sentence!)

For example;

-When Layhey is skulking around when the boys are convincing Ricky to join them on the "money transfer".
-Just the way Layhey runs when he is drunk! Priceless!
-J-Roc's line when Layhey is about to drive away from the opening of Success Auto

There was a lot of that in the movie.

Plus, watch the deleted scenes. There was some REALLY good stuff cut from the movie. (I can only assume for time.)

There was more Lucy/Ricky interaction. (Heck, there was a lot more Lucy in general!)
The scene where Randy and Layhey convince Barb to sign over the park... :shock:  :lol:
My favourite was when they go to the mini-mansion and then break into the RV! That scene should have stayed in! Not only was it funny as all hell, but it explained the glanced over reference Julian makes to Ricky about "owning a new RV in about 45 minutes" and the picture of the RV hanging up while Julian is talking about Success AutoBody.
The scene where the boys go out for "the company breakfast" was really good too.

I can't wait for the guy who made the fan-edit of the first movie to get the second one finished! He did a good job with the first and I think once all the edited content is put back into the second movie, a lot of people that weren't sure what they thought about it will become fans.
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

English Bastard

I am sorry to say I still have not seen the movie yet  :( ,now then yesterday I come across this clip of Bubbles I have not seen before is it from the movie or have I missed some thing else as well  :beermug:
peter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ZEanjORQI
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

GmeAFuckinR

This is the second scene in 'Coundown..' after the begining credits

"I toe da so, I Fuckin Toe Da SO!"

English Bastard

This is the second scene in 'Coundown..' after the begining credits

Thanks for the reply  :beermug:

Kanadon

I love when Bubbles says, "He's on the hard liquor hard," and then you see Lahey running through the shot in the background with a bottle in his hand.
Swish is this old, dirty, shitty-tasting home-made fucking liquor that you can, oh, you can barely get her into ya.

bumbleCS

Watching CDTLD
« Reply #68 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:34 PM »
For the 5th or 6th time, not sure

Getting better each time I watch it.  Sure miss the boys.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011, 11:24 PM by bumbleCS »

misstechiequeen

Trinity's Clothing Style
« Reply #69 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:02 AM »
In the movie you see Trinity dressed like a goth kid, but in season 8 she dresses normally. Was the goth style  Jeanna Harrison's personal style or was it an intentional decision to dress her in goth fashion?

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
I don't think Jeanna was ever goth. I think it was for the movie.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

curtmeyer77