Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Personal Recipe Exchange  (Read 31367 times)

Julians_Wife

Re: Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #75 on: Jun 19, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Sweet Chili Sauce Meatloaf

Meatloaf
1 pound lean ground beef
½  cup Worchestershire sauce
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg
4 garlic cloves, minced
Your favorite spices
Sweet Chili Sauce
2 cans of tomatoe paste

In a bowl combine all the meatloaf ingredients, (except tomatoe paste) and mix together well, adding as much of your favorite seasonings that you prefer. Preheat your oven to 350, (this is a trick I learned from Emeril) line a cookie sheet or lasagna pan with parchment paper and begin to shape the meatloaf, as the meatloaf cooks remove any excess grease. Once the meatloaf is half cooked, mix together the tomatoe paste and more sweet chili sauce together, and begin coating the meatloaf with the mixture, every so often, until it forms a nice crust on the outside. Tastes really good instead of putting Ketchup on it ...... pour lots of chili sauce on it when you serve it.

Julians_Wife

« Reply #76 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:01 PM »
Spaghetti Sauce - the traditional way

Now depending on how much you want to make the amount of ingredients will vary. Unlike what most people think we don't put a ton of hamburger, green or red peppers in our sauces either, infact in my house we ate our pasta most of the time with sausage. And the longer you allow it to cook the better it tastes, that is not a myth.  If you want to make a tasty sauce, don't take shortcuts and don't skimp on the ingredients, use fresh ingredients, because once you taste sauce the traditional way, trust me you'll never want to eat any other way and you'll understand why we are so picky about our sauce.

Step 1

20 large Roma tomatoes - (you can also roast them prior to use for a different flavor)
6 cloves garlic minced
Salt
Pepper
Basil, fresh
Parsley, fresh
Oregano, fresh
Olive Oil
1/2 cup red wine

In a large bowl place some of the tomatoes and begin crushing them with a potatoe masher (if you have a meat grinder you can use that too) until all of them are done. Season with all of the spices, pour about 1/2 cup of olive oil, cover the bowl and allow the flavors to meld together for a few hours in the refrigerator. After you have allowed the tomatoes to marinate add in the wine.

Step 2

3 cans of tomatoe paste
1/2 cup red wine
olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
2 large red onions, finely minced

In the bottom of a large pot, sautee in olive oil, garlic, red onions, until clarified, then in a small mixing bowl, blend together tomatoe paste, wine and a drizzle of olive oil. Pour the tomatoe paste and wine into the pot and add the tomatoe mixture you made in step one, cooking for several hours on a low heat. At least 6 hours at the very minimum.

Step 3

This is when you can add in other ingredients, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and what I do in my house is add sausage and a rack of ribs to the sauce, to give a bit more flavor. And cook for another few hours on a low heat. If you add the vegetables I mentioned above, either sautee them in olive oil and garlic first or roast or grill them, then add them to the sauce.

Just an FYI in my house growing up it was a sin to not have ALOT of warm bread, buns or rolls with our meals, including soups, so please when you make pasta, make sure you serve alot of bread with it and it's always best to have more than less. And 90% of the pasta dishes my Nona made for us were served with red wine, because it helps the digestive system. So now you know a little secret as to why Italians drink so much red wine with their pasta. LOL

mangiati il fegato - eat your heart out ;o)

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #77 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:48 PM »
As I was cutting coupons this morning....I spied upon this refreshing looking 4th of July treat. I might take a stab at it :D

Wave Your Flag Cheesecake

Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 4 hr 25 min
Makes: 20 servings

1 qt. strawberries, divided
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Brand Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
Ice cubes
1 cup cold water
1 pkg. (12 oz.) pound cake, cut into 10 slices
1-1/3 cups blueberries, divided
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed

SLICE 1 cup of the strawberries; set aside. Halve the remaining 3 cups strawberries; set aside. Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mixes in large bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is completely melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until gelatin is slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
MEANWHILE, line bottom of 13x9-inch dish with the cake slices. Add sliced strawberries and 1 cup of the blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake slices. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
BEAT cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with wire whisk or electric mixer until well blended; gently stir in whipped topping. Spread over gelatin. Arrange strawberry halves on cream cheese mixture to resemble the stripes of a flag. Arrange the remaining 1/3 cup blueberries on cream cheese mixture for the "stars." Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

Julians_Wife

« Reply #78 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:53 PM »
oh that looks so good Sarge! ....... yummy ;o)

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #79 on: Jun 25, 2006, 05:26 PM »
All you guys would need to do is throw out the Blueberries and add an extra cup of Strawberries for Canada Day !

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006, 02:02 AM by SgtMeowsteen »
-Fackin Lahey

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #80 on: Jun 25, 2006, 09:55 PM »
All you guys would need to do is throw out the Blueberries and add an extra cup of Stawberries for Canada Day !

Thats Awesome!!!  8)  Happy Canada Day!
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #81 on: Aug 21, 2006, 11:51 AM »
As soon as my tonsils heal I'm gonna make this !

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Fackin Lahey

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #82 on: Aug 21, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Sarge, send some my way!! Mmmmmmmbrownie pizza  :drooling:
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #83 on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:09 AM »
I work at a place where we serve exotic coffees, beers upstairs at the pub, and italian panini.. I mainly work in the kitchen so I made up my own panino that some of the TPB fans in town order on the side, it's called the Sunnyvale Slammer...

Recipe:

"Sunnyvale Slammer Sandwich/Panino"

Cook Time: 420 Seconds

Ingredients: 1 or 2 round peices of Jilapano Cheddder Bread
                 Bertolino brand Pepperoni (about 10 Slices)
                 1 Fresh ball of mozzenella cheese.
                 1 slice propelone cheese.
                 1 glass* (dog bowl- plastic bottle half- whatever you have) of Rum and coke,   
(prefferably use a spiced rum, or whatever goes to your tastes with the other ingredients.)
                 fresh Romainge Lettuce
                 a little bit of really good dope leaves, finely chopped and mixed with oreggeno
                 Tomatoes (not too many)
                 Mayo
                 Small dab of Spicy Honey Mustard
                 Small dab of Worchesterer sauce
                 1 slice of Ballonny
                 3 caps of freshly picked Magic brand Mushrooms sliced into triangular bits

marinate the pepperoni and balogna in the rum and coke for awhile. Don't eat any of the mushrooms before you cook, just in case you might freak out and can't handle it. Splash a little rum and coke under the top slice of bread while you are cooking it with the meats and cheeses on a grill until the cheeses melt all the way thru. then add the other ingredients in the layers, optimally placing the mushrooms near the cheese and then layer the lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and honey mustard. Cut in half. Just eat one yourself, but make several for your friends too, don't let any of them eat more than one, You might die. =0 , j/k you won't die, I promise, it will be fun and its a really fuckin good tasting sandwich, also if you want to make a non-hallucinogenic version, just substitute non-magical mushrooms such as Port LaBella or Shitt-ack-eys or fuckin' shit-keys or whatever they call them. You won't trip if you have the shit keys.

-ML
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2006, 05:29 PM by Mitch Lehey »
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

BB

« Reply #84 on: Oct 20, 2006, 12:35 AM »
Mitch, that is an awesome sandwich! Be sure to use Brothers Pepperoni from Halifax, if you can find it. Shit I'm gettin hungry, may have to raid the fridge . .

Here is the best latke recipe you will ever taste, I just emailed it to my daughter . . it is all in the way the potatoes are deployed . . half are cooked and mashed, the other half shredded raw with the onion and then wrung totally dry in a piece of cheesecloth . .

World's Best Homemade Latkes

2 3/4 lbs. (1.25 kg.) white potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes)
1 large onion
2 eggs, well beaten
1.5 Tablespoons matzoh meal (or flour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Peel and cut half of the potatoes into one-inch chunks. Boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and pass through a food mill (or process smooth in a food processor). Sprinkle matzoh meal on top of this. In a large bowl, shred one large onion. Then shred both peeled potatoes into the onion, mixing together the potato shreds with the onion to keep the potato threads from discoloring. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from onion-potato mixture by placing the shredded vegetables into a piece of cheesecloth and twisting until no more liquid can be extracted. Return to large, dry bowl and add egg, pepper, and salt. Add the puréed/milled potatoes to the shredded potatoes and combine thoroughly. Form into palm-sized patties that are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches high. Fry these patties in 1/4 to 1/2 inches of corn oil (do NOT use olive oil) . The patties will need to cook for about 5 minutes on the first side, so if they do more than go slightly brown after a minute or two, your oil is too hot. Flip after five minutes with a spatula and fork and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Drain thoroughly on paper towels. Serve with applesauce, salt, and sour cream.

I made my simple applesauce from fresh apples and used plain yogurt in place of sour cream. Just by dumb luck I happened to have some cheesecloth in the pantry, otherwise it would've been the boss's pantyhose again!

Ashkenazic cheers!

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #85 on: Oct 21, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Those potato things sound good Ben! Im gonna have to make some :)

btw we will possibly need to set up a major pepperoni distribution deal w/ them soon cause theres alot of crazy fans in Alabama now :P

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

BB

« Reply #86 on: Oct 21, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Those potato things sound good Ben! Im gonna have to make some :)

btw we will possibly need to set up a major pepperoni distribution deal w/ them soon cause theres alot of crazy fans in Alabama now :P

Okay Mitch, I'm gonna hook you up with Brothers:  http://www.brothersmeatsanddeli.com/home.html

I have been to their one and only location in Halifax on Agricola Street. The pepperoni they make there is truly the best you will ever taste! They make Mild Pepperoni, Hot Pepperoni, TNT Pepperoni, Honey Pepperoni and Cheese Flavoured Pepperoni. I prefer the TNT - very spicy and meaty but not greasy. I was there with some of our 2006 Launch Posse, and they gave us all generous free samples hot off the rack!

I know parts of Alabama rather well. In Birminham there used to be a big BBQ place that had  homemade looking signs on the outside and a slogan that read: "Yas suh, it's cooked in de pit!" Mighty fine pork BBQ sandwiches . . cormeal battered catfish and huge onion rings!

Care to share some down home recipes? I'm a ready teddy!

Nova Scotia maple hardwood smoking cheers!

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #87 on: Oct 21, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Honey Pepperoni sounds really good!

I was in Birmingham last month for the Sidewalk Film Festival, pretty good stuff alot of local indy movies goin on down here. I saw a short one from Atlanta about this man who had a job translating for this Mexican guy that just went around town robbing stores lol; it was great.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #88 on: Oct 24, 2006, 08:18 AM »
I picked up some Chris Brothers pepperoni, Hot and Mild last weekend.  Also found they make donair meat so I picked up half dozen packs of that.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

BB

« Reply #89 on: Oct 25, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I picked up some Chris Brothers pepperoni, Hot and Mild last weekend.  Also found they make donair meat so I picked up half dozen packs of that.

Where SMG, where?

hungry cheers

PepperoniANDCigarettes

« Reply #90 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Awesome marinara sauce recipe.

This is not my personal recipe, but its a GOOD one.
1 lb ground meat
2 Tbl olive oil

add
6 cloves garlic, chopped

fry until garlic begins to sizzle a bit, add:

Handful or so mushrooms, good but optional

Toss around a bit till mushrooms wilt some, add:

Toss around a bit, until mushrooms wilt, then add

4-5 cans tomato sauce
a can or two of dry wine, red or white
Tbl or two of fresh basil, or couple tsp. dry
tsp. oregano
good grind black pepper
½ tsp. fennel seed, crushed
tsp. vinegar
scant tsp. sugar
dash Tabasco
other kinds of chile are optional

Let it all simmer down slowly, stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick. This is a very versatile sauce with a wide range of uses. The above would be quite right for a good plate of Spaghetti for half a dozen people. Make the sauce more concentrated, and more highly spiced if you are going to flavor a whole Lasagna with it, or make it much lighter, and without meat, to showcase freshly found wild mushrooms, or as an accent to Veal a’la Parmigiano.

P.s the longer you let the gravy simmer, the better it will be ;)
Ricky:"Now helix, thats a real concert!: Gimme an R-O-C-K, then the crowd yells ROCK really loud."
Bubbles:"Im not givin' anybody an R"
Ricky:Rush just dosent do stuff like that, they write about stuff like how trees are talking to each other, or how each side of your brain works."
Bubbles: Gimme a fuckin' R..."

Ricky(Talking about Alex Leifson):" This man is drunk as fuck, He's High, He's a Male prostitute..."

Shit machine gun

« Reply #91 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Not that you'll likely see this BB, but I got it at a Maritime Sobeys.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #92 on: Apr 26, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Homemade breakfast bars...

Whole Grain Banana Fruit and Nut Bars

1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) light butter

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1 large egg

1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 small bananas)

1 1/2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)

2/3 cup golden raisins or chopped pitted dates

2/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2. Stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat light butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until well blended. Add egg and bananas; mix well. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add flour mixture; beat on low just until well blended. Stir in oats, dates or raisins and walnuts. Spread evenly in prepared pan.

4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.

5. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 24 bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to two days or freeze up to three months. Defrost uncovered at room temperature.
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #93 on: Apr 26, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Sounds yummy DD  :D

Here's my contribution to this thread

From the Philippines Lumpia

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, slivered
2 pkgs (10 oz. size) chop suey vegetables.
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon patis
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water
40 lumpia wrappers
deep fat for frying
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Procedure:
Brown beef well. Stir in garlic and onion; saute lightly. Add water chestnuts, vegetables and seasonings; cook for about 2 minutes. Drain and cool throughly. Combine flour and water to form thin paste. To make rolls, place 2 tablespoons filling on a lumpia wrapper. Fold neatly like an envelope. Seal with paste. Head deep fat to 375F. Combine remaining ingredients for sauce. Fry lumpia in hot fat until golden brown. Serve hot with sauce. Makes 40 lumpia.

I usually add a bit of shrimp to this recipe as well Not just ground beef. Anything really can be substituted

Jdub

« Reply #94 on: Apr 26, 2007, 02:21 PM »
I wish I could cook.  :(  I need someone to teach me.  Actually I just need someone to cook for me.   :) 

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #95 on: Apr 27, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I always thought lumpia was eggrole in english

thanx on verifying that for me , now i wonder what the difference is :)

The Vietnameze sell lumpias here in lil stands on all kinds festivals, the frenchfryhouses we have all over Belgium also sell it
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

golfinwithflames

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2007, 10:57 AM »
After having an Irish Shepherd's Pie, I felt compelled to create something like that, but with the excesses of an over-indulging American. I call it Bastard Pie.

Ingredients:
2 pounds of mashed potatoes (preferably in the square plastic bags as it's easier")
2 pounds of ground beef (mad cow free) or ground chicken (with the cluck removed)
2 8oz cans of "Manwich" sauce
2 cans of mixed veg (or any veg you fancy)
2 bags of shredded Sharp cheddar
1 bag of shredded mozzarella
Various Italian spices (whatever you like)

Pre-heat oven to 400 F (I'm not sure what that would be in countries other than the U.S...regulo something or other.)

Cook ground meat in skillet, while spreading 1 bag of mashed potato on bottom of a rectangular glass casserole dish (large). Shake a layer of shredded sharp cheddar ontop of potato bed.
Add Manwich sauce to ground beef after browned, simmer.
Place strained mixed veg (or veg of choice) ontop of first layer of
cheese.
Make a layer ground beef mixture on top of the veg.
Shake second bag of shredded cheddar ontop of ground beef. Spread
evenly.
Cut corner off of second bag of mashed potato and squeeze out contents
on top of ground beef as a baker would decorate a cake with icing, making
rows, or any pattern that you desire.

Finally, spread the shredded Mozz. on the top.
Add mushrooms, spices, whatever you desire on the top of the mountain.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes or so.

The entire house will fill with an intoxicating aroma, and depending on the
size of your family or guests, you will have some scrummy leftovers for
the next day.

Rosie

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Hello everyone.

Wow, I will definitely be trying some of the recipes posted, it is really nice to try new things that have been personalised rather than the usual bog standard cook-book recipes, so thank you for posting them.

I have thought of one very simple and very quick recipe (ideal for those evenings when you are late home from work, very tired and do not feel like doing much) that sounds awful but, tastes absolutely delicious, truly.  

It is also very inexpensive.

Ingredients:

Fresh Penne  (or any pasta shapes, or even just packet pasta if you cannot get fresh)

Olive Oil (extra virgin if you have it but, it really does not matter)

A tin or jar of Anchovies (try to use the more expensive one's, they are still very cheap)

A bottle or container of Passata (finely sieved Italian tomatoes, not the rough version)

Black pepper

Cook your pasta to your favoured consistency, bearing in mind the actual cooking time of the sauce is only approx 10 mins.

Using a medium sized saucepan just add enough olive oil to nicely cover the bottom of the pan and heat on quite a high heat.

Maintaining a high heat, add the anchovies and cook using a spatula (the bottom of a tablespoon will do), sort of press the anchovies against the bottom of the pan whilst cooking and mix with the olive oil until the anchovies form a paste like consistency.

Turn the heat down a little, add the passata, lots of black pepper and stir in well (about half a container of passata if cooking for two people) and simmer the sauce for about 5 mins.

Drain your pasta and pour the sauce over the pasta.  If you like your food to be really tasty you will not be disappointed.

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #98 on: Jun 13, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Anyone have any super simple smoothie recipes? I'm super picky foodwise & don't like to make anything complicated.

I just got a blender & want to curb my pop intake even more than I already have, so I think smoothies may be the way to go.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #99 on: Jun 13, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Several years ago, I was hell on homemade breakfast smoothies. Here's a good recipe...

Strawberry Banana Smoothie    

Yield
3 1/2 cups, 3 servings

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)  Frozen, unsweetened strawberries
    * 1  banana
    * 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
    * 3/4 cup (175 mL)  SPLENDA* Granular
    * 1/2 cup (125 mL)  skim milk

Directions
In blender, combine strawberries, banana, yogurt and SPLENDA; blend until smooth. Gradually blend in milk until desired consistency.
Notes

To make a Peach Banana Smoothie, substitute frozen unsweetened peaches for the strawberries.
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."