Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Personal Recipe Exchange  (Read 31819 times)

Reveen The Impossiblist

Re: Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #50 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Hollandaise sauce package ( I think you only need milk to make this)
Make the Hollandaise sauce with a squeeze of lemon for flavour, poach the eggs, fry the ham, toast n butter the english muffins

Eggs Benny is, by far, the best breakfast!  I have made it numerous times, all to varying degress of success.  As always, the success is always contingent on the Hollandaise sauce turning out alright.  I am now convinced that I must invest in a double boiler to get this part of the recipe to turn out.  I also prefer to use peameal bacon for my viande de choix... anyways, the dash of lemon juice acts as an emulcifying agent to keep the butter and the egg yolk from separating and to help keep it one consistent sauce, while adding a little flavour of course.  If anyone has any Hollandaise recipes/tips, I would love to hear them...

Cheers - RTI   8)
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #51 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Yeah, her cooking and her 34C apron. :boobies:

:lol: I think she has one of those underwire push up aprons - they are absolutely phenomenal. 

I'm not too religious, but I'll give that an AMEN.

WOW!  I'm Catholic and I will give you three Amens and an Our Father for that one... Cheers SMG...  8)

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

Julians_Wife

« Reply #52 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Yeah, her cooking and her 34C apron. :boobies:

:lol: I think she has one of those underwire push up aprons - they are absolutely phenomenal. 

I'm not too religious, but I'll give that an AMEN.

LMAO you two are hilarious LOL pushup bra aprons hehehe!

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #53 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:59 PM »
What can I say:

Good looking
Intelligent
Professional Chef

She's a triple threat!  :sun:

Julians_Wife

« Reply #54 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Make the Hollandaise sauce with a squeeze of lemon for flavour, poach the eggs, fry the ham, toast n butter the english muffins

Eggs Benny is, by far, the best breakfast!  I have made it numerous times, all to varying degress of success.  As always, the success is always contingent on the Hollandaise sauce turning out alright.  I am now convinced that I must invest in a double boiler to get this part of the recipe to turn out.  I also prefer to use peameal bacon for my viande de choix... anyways, the dash of lemon juice acts as an emulcifying agent to keep the butter and the egg yolk from separating and to help keep it one consistent sauce, while adding a little flavour of course.  If anyone has any Hollandaise recipes/tips, I would love to hear them...

Cheers - RTI   8)

You got that right RTI, I used to go and eat at Strawberry's (in Thunder Bay) after the bar and then go home and crash right out LOL I have a double boiler but I just use one of those stainless steel mixing bowls on top of a pot of boiling water to make mine and turns out just fine ......... YUM, i may just have to break down and make that for lunch LOL.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #55 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:12 PM »

Eggs Benny is, by far, the best breakfast!  I have made it numerous times, all to varying degress of success.  As always, the success is always contingent on the Hollandaise sauce turning out alright.  I am now convinced that I must invest in a double boiler to get this part of the recipe to turn out.  I also prefer to use peameal bacon for my viande de choix... anyways, the dash of lemon juice acts as an emulcifying agent to keep the butter and the egg yolk from separating and to help keep it one consistent sauce, while adding a little flavour of course.  If anyone has any Hollandaise recipes/tips, I would love to hear them...

Cheers - RTI   8)

You got that right RTI, I used to go and eat at Strawberry's (in Thunder Bay) after the bar and then go home and crash right out LOL I have a double boiler but I just use one of those stainless steel mixing bowls on top of a pot of boiling water to make mine and turns out just fine ......... YUM, i may just have to break down and make that for lunch LOL.

I will have to give that a try, living in Toronto, once you find a place that you know has excellent Eggs Benny - it really is quite tough to want to try it at another restaurant... I would suggest Axis Gallery and Grill (Keele/Dundas) or The Freshwood Grill (Roncesvalles)...

Julians_Wife

« Reply #56 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:22 PM »
BB you should have never started this thread, I've pulled out a HUGE whack of recipes now LOL

There is a story behind this recipe and I will bore you with it lol .... one of my Nona's friends was Chinese and we were over at her house one day, anyway came around supper time and they were still doing their thing, I was about 7 or 8 years old and getting hungry, since my Nona's friend didn't have alot of pasta in the house (and well I "needed" to eat pasta, being Italian and all lol) this is what she whipped up for me, i really liked it and still do, plus it made Nona happy that i got some damn pasta into my system (god forbid a day without pasta of some kind LOL)

Chinese Spaghetti

Ingredients

Pork - you can use pork chops, medallions, I use pork tenderloin for this recipe.
(cut into small bite sized squares)
Green onion - good portioned chopped slices
Mushrooms - thinly sliced
Celery - finely chopped
Boiled Spaghetti - (you can use reg spaghetti)
Soy Sauce

While your spaghetti is boiling, heat some peanut oil in a wok, then add in your pork, once your pork is half cooked, toss in your celery, mushrooms and green onions, then add in soy sauce, you want to keep adding soy sauce until you can taste it really well on the meat and veggies. After your spaghetti has boiled, drain and put in wok with meat and veggies, add more soy sauce, until it is nicely coated. Add as much soy sauce as you like (for me I keep adding until the noodles are nice and coated (a good brownish color), but just be careful otherwise it will turn out too salty.

This recipe also tastes great as a leftover, just add a bit more soy sauce, if you find it's a bit dry, the next day as the noodles will absorb most of it and kind of dry it out.

Julians_Wife

« Reply #57 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:39 PM »
someone mentioned about doing a recipe book ......... i think we should do one, i have software so we can make it into an ebook and sell it online (and ppl can print out the recipes) ..... I'm being dead serious if anyone is interested! I can even make a fancy cover for it so it looks like a "real book". I have so many recipe books and recipes that were handed down to me from my relatives in Italy and roomies that I went to college and uni with, make a HUGE cookbook.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #58 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:46 PM »
someone mentioned about doing a recipe book ......... i think we should do one, i have software so we can make it into an ebook and sell it online (and ppl can print out the recipes) ..... I'm being dead serious if anyone is interested! I can even make a fancy cover for it so it looks like a "real book". I have so many recipe books and recipes that were handed down to me from my relatives in Italy and roomies that I went to college and uni with, make a HUGE cookbook.

If they include many of the recipes that you have mentioned I would certainly be interested in helping put something together.  I am sure there is enough talent in the graphics department to put together some nice cover art/illustrations/pictures of the dishes etc...  Not to mention the Trailer Park Boys recipes that we could include as well:

• Pepperoni Pizza Pazzaz
  • Chicken Finger Chimichangas
  • Zesty Mordant/Dressed All Over Party Mix

:lol:  8) That would be really cool!

Julians_Wife

« Reply #59 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:15 PM »
[

If they include many of the recipes that you have mentioned I would certainly be interested in helping put something together.  I am sure there is enough talent in the graphics department to put together some nice cover art/illustrations/pictures of the dishes etc...  Not to mention the Trailer Park Boys recipes that we could include as well:

• Pepperoni Pizza Pazzaz

That's no problem for me at all, I've still got a few more that I'm going to post, since today is my designated day off lol, I have a paypal and merchant account (for my other biz), I can take payments from most major credit cards, so accepting payments is no biggie for it, just everyone participating would need a paypal account so I could send them their share of the sales money each week. My merchant acct pays weekly (from the week prior) and then can just send out payments via PP once it comes in (I don't do checks, they take too long and PP is instant cash). Basically it would depend on how many recipes we would want to include and how much to charge. I'm not too good a graphics myself, just do toon graphics for the most part (but I know how to put them together once done) but photoshop expert I am not lol.

So we could do a vote maybe to see which members like what recipes? (yes/no?) and then those would be the one's included? I've literally got a wall full of recipes and books, plus probably a few hundred on my other puter.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #60 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:25 PM »
[

• Pepperoni Pizza Pazzaz

That's no problem for me at all, I've still got a few more that I'm going to post, since today is my designated day off lol, I have a paypal and merchant account (for my other biz), I can take payments from most major credit cards, so accepting payments is no biggie for it, just everyone participating would need a paypal account so I could send them their share of the sales money each week. My merchant acct pays weekly (from the week prior) and then can just send out payments via PP once it comes in (I don't do checks, they take too long and PP is instant cash). Basically it would depend on how many recipes we would want to include and how much to charge. I'm not too good a graphics myself, just do toon graphics for the most part (but I know how to put them together once done) but photoshop expert I am not lol.

So we could do a vote maybe to see which members like what recipes? (yes/no?) and then those would be the one's included? I've literally got a wall full of recipes and books, plus probably a few hundred on my other puter.

It would be great to tie in the The Trailer Park Boys theme.  However, that would involve getting the appropriate licensing in place and having a nice finished product that you could publish.  The problem with an e-book is that people can share that around the net without proper compensation.  Now, if it was just a fun project that the orgsters got up in running and was strictly not for profit, that may be the plan 'B'.  Both scenarios are completely viable...

Julians_Wife

« Reply #61 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:41 PM »
You can sell ebooks, trust me I've written a few and sharing them hasn't been an issue, there are security features you can take as precautions to avoid that whole aspect. Yeah sure there's people that will cheat etc. but they're recipies and depending on the price combined with the amount of recipes, alot of people just won't care to shell out a few bucks for it.

Maybe we'll get some more input and then go from there.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #62 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:50 PM »
You can sell ebooks, trust me I've written a few and sharing them hasn't been an issue, there are security features you can take as precautions to avoid that whole aspect. Yeah sure there's people that will cheat etc. but they're recipies and depending on the price combined with the amount of recipes, alot of people just won't care to shell out a few bucks for it.

Maybe we'll get some more input and then go from there.

This is a great idea, keep me posted and I can give you my baba's famous Chicken Kiev recipe!  Having the Trailer Park Boys name on the cover would be awesome...

Julians_Wife

« Reply #63 on: Apr 04, 2006, 05:30 PM »
This is a great idea, keep me posted and I can give you my baba's famous Chicken Kiev recipe!  Having the Trailer Park Boys name on the cover would be awesome...

Someone is polish ;o) Hmmmm ....... you just gave me another idea, I have a TON of cookbooks from churches and stuff, where the pages are just bound by those plastic coils and then the covers are laminated (in some the pages are laminated too). but those can't be that expensive if a small community church can afford to get them made. I wonder if anyone knows someone that has a print shop .... I'm going to check out some places and see and just use 100 pages as a guide for pricing. Maybe we could start by selling them as an ebook and then use that money to invest in selling hard copies, mind you when they come around selling cookbooks, you usually pre-order and pre-pay for them, so I'd imagine they do this so they can get better pricing by buying the cookbooks in bulk. Hmmm ... ...They sell those "company's coming" cookbooks (in the grocery stores) like that too and they're like what $18 a crack for those things(?) not even close to 100 pages.

Well I just looked a staples and to do celrox binding (it's a plastic comb, that's inserted into holes down the side and holds the book together) it costs $1.79 per book, coil binding is alot more pricier, it's $3.49 per book (these are both for 127 pages), there isn't any bulk prices listed @ staples web site, but I'm sure there's got to be a bulk price for that some where! And can probably find some where else with better pricing too. Now I'm going to be thinking about this all day LOL

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2006, 05:51 PM by Julians_Wife »

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #64 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:53 PM »

Someone is polish ;o) Hmmmm ....... you just gave me another idea, I have a TON of cookbooks from churches and stuff, where the pages are just bound by those plastic coils and then the covers are laminated (in some the pages are laminated too). but those can't be that expensive if a small community church can afford to get them made. I wonder if anyone knows someone that has a print shop .... I'm going to check out some places and see and just use 100 pages as a guide for pricing. Maybe we could start by selling them as an ebook and then use that money to invest in selling hard copies, mind you when they come around selling cookbooks, you usually pre-order and pre-pay for them, so I'd imagine they do this so they can get better pricing by buying the cookbooks in bulk. Hmmm ... ...They sell those "company's coming" cookbooks (in the grocery stores) like that too and they're like what $18 a crack for those things(?) not even close to 100 pages.

Well I just looked a staples and to do celrox binding (it's a plastic comb, that's inserted into holes down the side and holds the book together) it costs $1.79 per book, coil binding is alot more pricier, it's $3.49 per book (these are both for 127 pages), there isn't any bulk prices listed @ staples web site, but I'm sure there's got to be a bulk price for that some where! And can probably find some where else with better pricing too. Now I'm going to be thinking about this all day LOL

Close on the Polish, Ukrainian to be exact - definitely eastern European.  Try Andrei Shevchenko that is Canadian and plays hockey instead of soccer...

Julians_Wife

« Reply #65 on: Apr 05, 2006, 11:51 AM »
LOL European not playing soccer ...go figure huh .......;o)

Anybody got any meatloaf recipes they'd like to share? I love meatloaf esp with scalloped potatoes ....... YUM! (had that for supper last night).

hunnerbun

« Reply #66 on: Apr 23, 2006, 01:20 PM »
OK...for some reason lately I have been craving fresh salsa...here's my recipe

4 tomatoes diced
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced

Mix together in large glass bowl, add salt and pepper to taste and juice of 1 or 2 limes (or lemons if preferred)

Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors meld.
Serve with nacho chips...to die for!
And good for you too!
My God...what a drunk horror show!

Julians_Wife

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2006, 01:06 PM »
More recipes from me:

Fontina Cheese Dip - you can use Gruyere cheese as a substitue for this recipe.

Ingredients for Recipe

9 ouces of Fonitina Cheese
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of butter
2 beaten eggs
Italian crusty bread - cut into cubes

Place diced cheese in a bowl, add milk then let soak for about 3 hours. To cook the cheese, place in a double boiler with simmering water underneath, then add butter and eggs stirring consistantly until cheese is melted. Serve immediately with cubbed bread.

===============

Roasted Pepper Salad is a traditional Italian Anitpasto, one that I enjoy quite frequently as I am Italian. Antipasto means "before the meal", which in western terms, would be similar to "Appetizer".

Ingredients for Recipe:

3 red peppers
3 green peppers
3 yellow peppers
3 orange peppers
1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes
minced garlic (add as much as you prefer)
2 1/2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons of olive oil
4 to 6 chopped artichoke hearts
Season with black pepper, a dash of oregano and parsley

There are a few options for "roasting" your peppers, you can use a BBQ, indoor grill or the oven. To roast them in the oven preheat your oven 200 C or 400 F, line a baking sheet with tin foil and lightly oil it and then place the whole peppers onto it abd bake for about 45 mins to about 1 hour until the peppers are charred. In a serving dish finely chop 1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes, and remove all the seeds, skins from the peppers and chop them into nice sized slices, add artichoke hearts.For the dressing mix oil, balsamic vinegar and some fresh chilis in a bowl, pour onto red pepper mix and season with spices listed above.

=========
This soup is actually also a great cure for hangovers, you can omit the rice, beef boullion cubes and instead use a flat noodle, use chicken stock to substitute for the water and the boullion.

Meaty Tomatoe and Rice Soup

Ingredients for Recipe

2 tablespoons of butter
1 pound of hamburger
1 cup of onion, chopped
1/2 cup of celery, chopped
1 large can of tomatoes
2 1/2 cup of water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/3 cup of dry rice
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon fresh basil or half teaspoon dried
2 tablespoonsof fresh parsley, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Saute hamburger and onion in butter, add celery, then break up hamburger into small pieces, combine with remaining ingredients,then cook over low heat until rice is tender.

============

Crab Soup

Ingredients for Recipe

1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of flour
4 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of finely chopped onions
2 teaspoons of chicken base
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons of parsley
1 pound of crabmeat

Melt butter and whisk in flour, cook for 3 minutes then stir in milk, chopped onion, chicken base, pepper and parsley. Reduce the heat, cook until thick, stir in crabmeat, heating for just a few minutes and then serve.

============

Lobster Bisque

Ingredients for Recipe

1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup of flour
2 cups of chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
1 - 11-ounce can frozen lobster meat
3/4 cup of "real" sherry
3 cups of light cream
2 tablespoons of tomato paste

Saute onions in butter until onions are translucent, stir in flour with a whisk, mix until smooth, then add chicken broth and pepper, cook stirring constantly until thickened. Next add lobster meat and cook for 20 minutes on a medium-low heat, then blend in sherry, cream and tomato paste (for color) and serve.

=========
Posted on: May 06, 2006, 01:17 AM
JW's Chicken Fingers Recipe - the good kind!

I usually just buy a whole frying chicken instead of chicken breasts, because it's cheaper and you can get more out of it. Obviously start by de-boning the chicken and cutting off nice thick slices for your chicken fingers. These chicken fingers are really nice and crispy.

Ingredients

2 to 3 eggs - beaten
Flour
Crushed crackers and cornflakes
Salt and pepper, garlic salt, onion salt
(add your spices to the flour)

Once you have sliced up your chicken into "fingers", take each piece and put them into the egg wash, next, coat with flour, then back into the egg wash and then into the cracker and corn flake mixture. Deep fry until cooked through and a nice golden brown colour. Serve with whatever sauces are to your liking.

* for a little more flavor with the crackers you can use Breton (any flavor that your prefer and I've also used vegetable thins, tastes really good actually, vs just plain crackers)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:09 PM by Julians_Wife »

Evangeline

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I thought I would add one of my favorite salad recipes, I make it at almost every family dinner.  Its so good, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!! lol

Strawberry Spinach Salad

2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced onion
10 ounces fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and
torn into bite-size pieces
1 quart strawberries - cleaned, hulled and
sliced
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.

In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Nice recipe EV.  We do the same thing except toasting the almonds and using bottled dressing.  Much easier, but maybe I'll give that dressing a try.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Evangeline

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2006, 02:42 PM »
What kind of bottled dressing do you use?

Shit machine gun

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Usually a poppyseed dressing of some kind.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Julians_Wife

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Usually a poppyseed dressing of some kind.

oh yum poppyseed dressings are good, my freind made a nice one with balsamic vinegar, strawberries and I think she said it had a bit of red wine in it, if I'm not mistaken, oh it was awesome. I'll have to steal the recipe from her.
Posted on: May 12, 2006, 03:45 PM
Swiss and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Ingredients

Nice thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Bacon
Swiss and cheddar cheese
Garlic
Butter
your choice of spices
honey mustard dip/sauce

To reduce cooking time you can boil your chicken breasts until they are pink in the middle or you can grill them for a nice smokey flavor. While cooking the chicken, fry bacon and shred your cheeses. After you have cooked the chicken, about half way through slice it right down the middle of the breast (like a bun), but do not cut it all the way through, heat up a skillet with butter , add minced garlic and the chicken breasts, frying until the chicken is completely cooked. Next take bacon and cheese and stuff it inside the chicken breast and bake in the oven until the cheese is melted. You can also add mushrooms to this recipe too, goes well with a honey mustard dip/sauce. And tastes wicked with mushroom and swiss stuffed baked potaoes.

KarateCollie

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Can I post a recipe for awesome squares? Hope so, here it is.......

Ooey, Gooey Good Squares!
1 cup Corn Syrup
3/4 cup of white sugar
boil these 2 ingredients together in a lg pot,at a low boil for 2 mins. Then remove from heat
Then add:
1 cup of Peanut Butter
1 tsp. of Vanilla
1/4 tsp. of salt
4-5 cups of Special K cereal.
Mix all together and flatten into 2 8x8 square pans or 1 bigger one! Whatever you have. Then sprinkle semisweet chocolate chips over the top and melt them in the oven for about 2-3 mins or so. Then spread chocolate with a spoon. Let cool, then cut into squares. Should make 48 small squares. They're sooooooo good!!
KarateCollie

Julians_Wife

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Hangover Soup - this stuff really works my nona used to make it for us drunks all the time hehehehe ;o) Now obviously the trick is to make it before you go out and get drunk, so when you're hurtin the next day, you can just eat it, I usually make big batches of it and freeze it.

1 pound of lean ground beef
2 tetra packs of chicken broth
2 stalks of celery - finely chopped
2 large white onions - sliced into ring halves
2 large cans of stewing tomatoes, drained and chopped into good sized chunks
any type of large flat noodles
garlic and spices of your choice

Fry the ground beef and strain off any excess oil, then sautee your garlic, celery and onions, when it's done, add in the ground beef. Next begin boiling your noodles and in a separate pot start heating up the chicken broth, once heated, add in your hamburger, celery, garlic, onions and stewing tomatoes, when your noodles are done, add them in and let it simmer for a few hours. The longer it simmers the better it tastes.