Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Personal Recipe Exchange  (Read 31338 times)

bigbenjamin

Personal Recipe Exchange
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 12:54 PM »
At the top of this thread I propose that we share REAL AT HOME RECIPES,
stuff you actually make and eat and enjoy. And there are few things
I enjoy or make more often than:

Cornbread

Here is the simplest way to make delicious cornbread -
Take a fair sized bowl and break an egg into it, chop one medium sized onion and throw that in, dump in one cup of cornmeal (the more coarsely ground the better), then eyeball a heaping tablespoon of baking powder (not baking soda) into the bowl along with a level teaspoon of salt and a heaping tablespoon of sugar, stir that all together roughly and add 2/3 cup of white flour, stir lightly again and add about one cup of milk.

Now, how you cook this mixture decides what kinda cornbread you've got (and there are hundreds of different ways to tinker with this basic recipe and maybe a half dozen different ways to cook it). I suggest for your first batch of cornbread you do it in the oven at about 400 degrees F (not celsius) for about 20 minutes, testing with a broomstraw or tooth pick to make sure nothing sticks to the straw. You can use an 8 muffin, muffin pan lightly greased or an iron skillet, both are good - you could also use a 9"X9" pyrex baking dish - whatever you've got is fine. Just cut it into slices or squares afterwards if you use the skillet or pyrex dish.

Cornbread goes with soup, stew or chili - use it like croutons or eat it on the side. Cornbread can be sliced open and you add butter and honey or corn syrup and eat it with things like beans and greens.
Eat cornbread HOT and fresh. (great for breakfast next day, just take a drinking glass, crumble up yr cornbread and pour cold milk over it, the take a spoon and kinda stir and mash it around , then eat/drink the "cereal") - YUMMY IN THE TUMMY :D !
Cheers!

purple_skwirrel

Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 02:13 PM »
My all-time food favourite

ROULADEN

Slow-cook at all times, low to medium.  Takes 1.5-2 hours.  Serves 2-4, depending on sidedishes, but I never do for this food, so this would serve 2 in my house   :)

4 sirloin tip steaks - thin
8 slices bacon
8 slices dill pickles (sliced lengthwise in quarters)
1 onion, diced
German mustard or brown mustard
salt
pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups water

Pound the steaks with a meat tenderizer/mallot until about 1/8" thick.  Season the steaks with salt and pepper.  Spread mustard thinly on one side (will become "the inside") on each steak.  Place two pickle slices on each steak, which will become the inside end.  Spread the onion and 2 bacon slices onto each steak, on the entire inside surface.  Starting from the end where the pickles are, roll  tightly (jelly roll style) and secure with string.  

Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.  Brown the meat rolls well on all sides, rotating with clamp-style tongs so as not to tear at the tender meat.  Add about 1 cup of water to the saucepan, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Add more water if needed.  If desired, add beef broth instead of more water to the liquid the meat was cooked in for extra flavour.  Remove the meat from the pan.

Keep boiling the liquid until it is reduced by one third of its original size.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the meat to the pan and warm through.

Addendum:  example pix, so you know what they're supposed to look like  :wink:  :
Before cooking:  http://www.mengede.de/Bilder/Rouladen.jpg
While they're cooking:  http://www.wolf-woerner.de/kochen/roulad4.jpg
After they're cooked:  http://www.lotus-pfannen.de/pics/assets/images/quadratpfannen2.jpg

bigbenjamin

Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 01:29 AM »
Beautiful Ruladen recipe PS! Thanks - i think I might do the lengthy cooking part in my new pressure cooker - i'm using the new toy as often as possible to  get the feel for using it. Cuts cooking time way down, makes meat super tender.

How about some OKONOMIYAKI(oh-cone-oh-me-yah-kee)? Kinda like a train wreck between a jewish latke and a cabbage roll.
Fast, easy and delicious!
"Okonomi" means "as you like it". "yaki" means fried.

Ingredients:

* Dough
            1 cup flour
            2/3 cup water
            2 eggs
            Cabbage

* Possible ingredients to put into/onto Okonomiyaki

Thinly sliced pepperoni(really)
            Leek or green onion
            Beef: thinly sliced or ground
            Pork: thinly sliced or ground
            Chicken: breast filets
            Octopus
            Squid
            Prawn
            Tuna
            Mushrooms
            and much more...
    * Sauces
            Brown okonomiyaki sauce*
            Mayonnaise

Preparation:

1.Cut four large, green cabbage leaves into thin strips 2 inches long.(shred if you prefer)
   2. Mix the water, flour, eggs and the cabbage strips together.
   3. You may now add more ingredients to the dough: e.g. seafood, cut in little pieces, ground meat, cut mushrooms, etc.
   4.Fry the dough like a pancake in a small frying pan.
   5.Before turning the okonomiyaki over, and while the dough is still quite soft, press other ingredients into the top of the dough.
   6. Turn the okonomiyaki.
   7. When fried well, serve the okonomiyaki with mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce.

Cut the okonomiyaki  into slices, drizzle sauce on top and serve. You're gonna love it,and you can use any extra ingredients you like - they make "American Style" okonomiyaki in Japan by adding things like crisp bacon and cheddar cheese. It is basically a cabbage fritter or pancake with cool things mixed in and/or mashed into the soft batter just before turning.  

*Sauce:
shoyu soy sauce
finely minced ginger

purple_skwirrel

Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 02:41 AM »
Thanks BB!  There are a few recipes on the 'net for them for slow cookers / crock pots   :)

That Okonomiyaki sounds yummy, one day if I feel amnitious, and I'm eating alone (other half is a very blah eater) I'm going to have to try that  :D

JulianRocks

Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:02 AM »
Here is a cheesecake recipe that all my friends and family love. Enjoy!
Crust:
1 c. graham crumbs
2 tbsp. melted butter
1/4 c. sugar
Combine in bowl, mix well. Press in 9" springform pan. Bake at 350F for 5 min.

Filling:
24 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4c. Butter
3/4c. White Sugar
1 tbsp. Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 Can Milk

Combine ( with a mixer or beaters ) cream cheese and butter well. Add sugar and vanilla and combine well. Add 1 egg at a time, then add the milk. Pour into graham cracker bottom. Bake for 1 hour at 325F.
( Don't worry about the mixture being runny because it is but it bakes really well. For anyone who hasn't made a cheesecake before - when it is done, it will giggle a little in the middle. The cheesecake firms when it cools. Also, you should leave cream cheese and butter in a bowl to soften before beating - makes the combining much easier.)

After it cools, top cheesecake with your favourite topping. You can use canned pie filling or fresh berries or some like chocolate sauce. Whip cream as well. Voila!!! :wink:

bigbenjamin

Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Nice cheese cake recipe JR, I'm gonna try that - thanks :D !  Here's my Brown Rice Cream:

Cover the bottom of a frying pan with brown rice and a pinch of salt. Heat and shake the pan as the brown rice starts popping, short grain pops best. When the rice is lightly browned and a couple of dozen grains have popped open, put the rice, a bit at a time into a spice or coffee grinder (Japanese do it by hand in a surabachi) and grind to a rough powder. Drop the powder into a very small amount ("ankle deep" or between 1/2 inch and an inch) of boiling water, stir, put the lid on, turn the heat down and let it go for a coupla minutes   ...  Brown Rice Cream! I top mine with "natto" (whole, fermented soy beans) mixed with finely chopped okra, but you can have it plain with soy sauce or top it with whatever you like. Great for a tender tummy and digests very easily.  Cheers!

Bailey

Trailer Park Boys Recipe Cook Book
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2005, 03:31 AM »
BB,  you have a way of making me salivate like a dog whenever you talk about food, and unless you have me on ignore, where the hell are the rest of your awesome recipes?   God knows there's enough awesome recipes floating around on this board to make a trailer park boys cook book.  You're crazy fusion dishes, DD's spectacular funnel cake, dear cottonelle's most awesome looking corn bread, not to forget her choc chip cookies lol. And the lady with 3 posts who put that recipe up that peeps thought was a samsquach recipe...

Do others cook on this forum, or are all ze recipes just going to waste?  Just an idea to produce some revenue is all... An i'm a greedy guts wit tha metabolism that would blow your minds lmao

Phil
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2005, 03:34 AM by Bailey »

monkeon

• www.monkeon.tk
Re: Trailer Park Boys Recipe Cook Book
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2005, 03:47 AM »
An ORG cook book I'm hungry just typing it mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Great idea Bailey perhaps we could have a page on the main site with all the recipes on it!

Mr. Lahey: Birds of a shitfeather flock together, Randy.
QUOTE GENEROUSLY SUPPLIED BY THE KING OF BELGIUM DJET3K[/b] WHO IS FAKKIN' SHITTASTIC

Bailey

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2005, 03:48 AM »
An ORG cook book I'm hungry just typing it mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Great idea Bailey perhaps we could have a page on the main site with all the recipes on it!
Indeed, just an idea to get the creative juices flowing, keep em coming...

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2005, 06:12 AM »
Problem with most of the good stuff I cook is that I have no set recipie for it  :oops:.  Any recipie I post would have measures such as "pinch", "smiggen", "some", "not too much" and finally my favourite "to taste".  If ya all can handle those measures I've got some mighty fine recipies for ya ;).

EvilTwin

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2005, 06:14 AM »
Great idea Bailey, I bet you can deep fry baked chicken fingers :lol:

tellkyle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Everyone here should beg DD to teach us how to make a proper Texas style brisket!!!

Saucy Bastard

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2005, 12:27 PM by saucy bastard »
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

shake

Re: Personal Recipe Exchange
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Thanks SB, I merged it with the first link.

Bailey

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:09 PM »
lol sorry, didn't realise this thread existed... hehehe  :lol:

Bailey

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2005, 03:18 AM »
OK, thought i would post this "alternative" recipe to the big mac sauce, if you're like me and don't eat macca's but miss some of their more tasty stuff, (or only tasty stuff :)) here it be..  Actually if you want any recipe for Mcdonalds stuff, just ask, i have them all.

BIG MAC(tm) Special Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 cup KRAFT Miracle Whip
                                                       1/4 cup mayonnaise
                                  2 Tablespoons,heaping, WISHBONE deluxe french salad dressing (the orange stuff)
                                                  1/2 Tablespoon HEINZ sweet relish
                                    2 teaspooons, heaping, VLASIC dill pickle relish (Heinz dill relish also works)
                                                        1 teaspoon sugar
                                                    1 teaspoon dried, minced onion
                                                      1 teaspoon white vinegar
                                                       1 teaspoon ketchup
                                                        1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix everything very well in a small container. There better be no streaks! Microwave 25 seconds, and stir well again. Cover, and refrigerate at LEAST 1 hour before using.( to allow all of
                                    the flavors to "meld". ) Makes nearly 1 cup...enough for about 8 Big Macs(tm).

Cooking your BIG MAC(tm)

INGREDIENTS:

(this is a per sandwich recipe)

1 -regular sized sesame seed bun
                                                      1 -regular sized plain bun
                                                 2 -previously frozen regular beef patties
                                                    2 -tablespoons Big Mac sauce
                                                   2 -teaspoons reconstituted onions
                                                    1 -slice real American cheese
                                                     2 -hamburger pickle slices
                                                   1/4 Cup -shredded iceberg lettuce

COOKING:

Discard the crown half of the regular bun, retaining the heel. The cooking method for the Big Mac(tm) is basically the same as the regular burgers, only the bun toasting method is slightly
                    different. In the Big Mac's case you toast the bottom (heel) first. Do this along with the extra heel. (this will be your middle bun.)

Cook the two-all-beef-patties just like the regular burgers. After the bun parts are toasted, put 1 tablespoon of "Mac sauce" on each of the heels.(toasted side.) Then add 1/8 cup
 shredded lettuce to each.On the true bottom bun, place one thin slice of American cheese on top of the lettuce. On the extra "heel", the middle bun, place two pickle slices on top of the
lettuce. Toast the "crown" (top) of the bun also. When the meat patties are done, place them one at a time on both prepared buns. Stack the middle bun on top of the bottom bun, and put
                                                        the crown on top.

For proper "aging", or "Q-ing", ...wrap the finished Big Mac(r) in a 12"x18" sheet of waxed paper as follows:

1...Center the burger, right side up, on the waxed paper. Fold the "long" ends of the paper up over the top. (It will resemble a tube with the burger in the center.)

2...Fold the two remaining ends underneath. Wrap snug, but don't squish it like the regular burgers.

3...Let sit 5-8 minutes, allowing the flavors to "meld".

4...Microwave, still wrapped, 15 seconds on high.

....Enjoy an AWESOME Big Mac(r) Sandwich!

LOL i especially like that last bit, the aging or queing taste.

Maddoggystyle

• www.wrassle.net
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:34 AM »
Wet Willy:

Wet finger until moist.

Sneak up behind sucker.

Insert finger in ear (doesn't matter which ear, the closest one is fine)

RUN LIKE HELL!
I don't regret what I haven't done yet...

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Everyone here should beg DD to teach us how to make a proper Texas style brisket!!!

No need to beg, Kyle. Wait, on second thought...a little groveling is good for the soul...on your knees...:wink:

Brisket

(1) 10-12 lb brisket trimmed of most of the fat
Celery Salt
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
(1) Bottle of Liquid Smoke
(1) Bottle of BBQ Sauce

Place brisket in a shallow baking dish lined with heavy foil. Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the brisket and cover the surface with the entire bottle of liquid smoke.
Sprinkle the entire surface of the brisket with the celery salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
Pour half the bottle of BBQ sauce over the brisket, wrap tightly in foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, before baking, drain as much of the marinade off the brisket as possible. Pour remaining BBQ sauce over brisket and loosely re-wrap in foil.

Bake at 275 degrees for 6 hours. Let the brisket stand at room temperature 10-15 minutes before slicing.

"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

tellkyle

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:20 AM »

No need to beg, Kyle. Wait, on second thought...a little groveling is good for the soul...on your knees...:wink:

Your meaningless and insignificant servant kowtows before the majestic glory that shines brighter than 100 suns. 

Your disgusting louse only asks the Emperor of Heaven and Earth that noone tries to otaku him while he is knelt down.  Especially those dirty eunuchs.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Okay, if you love Southern and Japanese food, here is a little fusion recipe of my very own:

GumboDon:

1) Saute a handful of okra in olive oil. Remove from pan and slice length-wise.

2) Slice pork (pork chops, any grade) into long, thin strips and saute. Add chopped onions, grated ginger and chopped garlic and keep cooking.

3) Add a little sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin (or any white wine) and chili oil.

4) Add a couple of chopped tomatoes and throw the okra back in the pan.

5) Add 2 cups of fish broth (I use dashi powder and hot water), a bit at a time, letting the broth thicken.

6) Slice any mushrooms (i use shitake) and green onions and toss them in.

7) Throw a big handful of shrimp in at the last minute.

I didn't make this recipe very detailed regarding quantity and time because that's not always  the way I cook. Just use the quatities that suit the number of folks you're gonna be poisoning.

Enjoy on top of a heap of hot sticky, rice, Cheers!
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2005, 09:12 PM by bigbenjamin »

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Okay - I just LOVE to bbq - do it all year long.  I made this for dinner tonight and thought I'd actually take the time to write out my measurements etc. AND make sure the end result tasted okay before I posted it up.  I'm glad to report that apparently it passed the taste test :).  Here ya go:

DAF's Marinaded BBQ Steak

Here's what you're gonna need:

1 small onion, chopped
7 cloves garlic [hope ya like garlic!]
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary [you can used the dried stuff but you might need to make it 3 tblspns]
2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
2 teaspoons salt [or to taste - this is what I use]
1 teaspoon black pepper [or to taste - this is what I use
2 Lbs of steak - the cut of which is your choice [but it's gonna be marinated so it doesn't have to be the best ;)]

Here's what ya do with the stuff:

- Place onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, rosemary, mustard, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Place steak in a large resealable plastic bag or in a tupperware container and pour the marinade over steaks, seal.
- Refrigerate for AT LEAST 3 hours - I usually go for at least 6-8 hours.
- Preheat the grill for mediium to medium/high heat depending on the grill
- Brush grill grate with oil. Discard marinade, and place steak on the prepared grill.
- Cook for 7 minutes per side, or to desired doneness

Enjoy with your choice of adult beverage :).

bigbenjamin

« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:01 PM »
Beauty recipe for steak, DAF, makes me hungry thinkin about it! In the fall and winter I use my smokeless indoor grill, guess tha'll be okay for your recipe?

You could do some steak-house potatoes with it, just cube yr taters and boil em until they're half cooked, not really soft, still mostly firm. Then drain 'em in a colander for a few minutes to dry, and then chuck 'em in a wok half filled with very hot oil. When they float and look crispy, they are done.
British like this with vinegar and French dip  e'm in mayonaise . . everybody else goes with ketchup.

Shit, I'm gettin hungry, cheers!

Jonnyboy

• Trailer Park Boys
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:08 PM »
A good side dish

Who needs liptons rice and sauce. What you will need for this recipe is the following: 1 Can of Veggie soup (Or whatever kind of soup floats yer boat), Instant rice, and a Microwave.

In a microwave save dish empty the contents of your can of soup.

Using the empty can, fill it with instant rice and add to soup mix. (Notice you don't dirty extra dishes)

Add some water (This I usually do by eye. Me I usually  add about a half of can of water as the soup has some water already. It depends on how watery your can of soup is).

Cook on high for about 5 minutes.

Let stand for couple of minutes. (Note if rice is still hard and there is no water left, add some more and heat some more).

****Note, this typically will do for 2 people (Which is more than the Liptons Side Dishes).

Serve with your favorite food and enjoy.

Jonny

knocknock

« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:51 PM »
this ones easy
for one person you need

1 pkt of chicken noodle soup
some cold chicken
one shallot(onion with a green stalk)
couple of sprigs of coriander
one red chilli
3-4 shitake mushrooms
salt and pepper

1st soak the shitakes in boiling water for half an hour then squeeze the shitakes in your hand to get excess water out or the soup will turn brown, then chop out the stem and slice up the caps

cook the soup to instructions on pkt(ours say 'put soup mix in boiling water then simmer for five minutes)
throw the shitakes in there for the five minute simmer

slice up the shallots diagonally into slithers
i deseed the chillis (cause i hate my arse burning the next day) and cut them into little bits and throw them and the rest of the ingredients  into the soup during the last minute of simmering

another one i make is a slight variation of vietnamese chicken rolls

put ham and chicken on a bread roll
top with a shallot
coriander sprigs
slice of leb cucumber
alfalfa
pepper
a few shakes of soya sauce
thats it

Fuck off

"long live the org"--Mike Clattenburg

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2005, 04:29 AM »
Beauty recipe for steak, DAF, makes me hungry thinkin about it! In the fall and winter I use my smokeless indoor grill, guess tha'll be okay for your recipe?

Definately should work for ya BB - just watch it carefully as I've found merinaded meat tends to cook faster on my indoor grill than the outdoor one.  You might also lose some of the bbq flavour but the merinade will still taste great.  Sometimes, when  I cook on the indoor smokeless grill I add a little liquid smoke to the merinades to compensate for the lack of the bbq effect.  Works every time ;)

Next time I whip that up I'm DEFINATELY going to do those steakhouse taters - they sound soooo good!  Thanks for the heads up on that one :).