Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Contests!  (Read 2726 times)

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:01 AM »
We need more contests.

Not sure how or for what, but I think it's due.  I love contests.  I'm not adverse to offering a prize of some sort, either (probably not TPB related, so what would be the point?  :D  ).  I used to be the group leader for this eBay.com discussion group and I ran a "best quote to a picture" contest.  It was fun reading all the submissions, then we all voted via a poll.  The prize itself was only something small, but I think it brought a sense of unity to the group.  :)

The eBay group, what happened to it you ask?  I got sick of the E and their high and increasingly higher fees ("more users?  Hey let's hike the fees again, or better yet, change the fee structure and collect more $$$!"), plain and simple, and I totally walked away from it for a while.  Now I mostly buy and rarely sell anything anymore.  I still do visit the .ca chat forum once in a blue moon ('though I just heard eBay has reduced their insertion fees - a little sidenot for any other eBayers out there  :wink: )

cat-dog

Contests!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:12 AM »
We were going fairly strong for contests/trivia until the last couple games, where everyone seemed to completely lose interest. Turnout was so low, that it was almost pointless to waste the time trying to set things up, and get everything going, since no one was playing.

I like the idea for the "best quote to a picture" though, and would definately like to try something like that out around here.
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Thanks cat-dog, it would be hilarious given the pix that could be used! In the other group thing I posted a pic of a giant phallic snow-sculpture being bear-hugged by someone.  You can only imagine some of the quips people came up with :lol:

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Contests!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:00 PM »
How about a Superbowl related Triva?
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:35 PM »
I still think a caption contest would rock :wink:

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Contests!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:42 PM »
That would be a good idea sometime in the future, but the last few contests people haven't been interested.

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:45 PM »
A caption contest would be cool for anyone.  I've done it in the past in another forum and it was fun all around.  It got a lot of people together who normally wouldn't get involved.

cat-dog

Contests!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2005, 10:02 PM »
Yup, I still have full intentions of doing this one, sounds like a wicked idea that I'm sure everyone would go for :)

Waiting on my 2nd cheque from the google ads before I can do anything though.
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Canuckguy

Contests!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2005, 12:59 AM »
If theres a contest there should be a sticky thread in "trailer park chat" so everyone sees it.  Caption contests sounds fun!  Maybe Barrie Dunn will donate some hats or something  :lol: .....

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2005, 08:18 AM »
No rush, CD, I only saw some of the HMV photos with captions, and it reminded me :wink:

RangerF150

Contests!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Yup good idea purple :-)
The only problem i see with your idea DVS is that not everybody may know about the superbowl , eh , like me for instance :-(
I just know it takes days and nothing really seem's to happen !

OK , to get things movin along swiftly , i'll put up a prize for the winner , i WILL send a T-Shirt , with somethin Irish on it , could be  a Guinness T-shirt :-) to the winner , how's that for a start ?

As purple suggested , if everybody chips in then at the end of the day pretty much everyone is a winner :-)

Let's not leave it all to c-d , to come up with the goodies , this site is providing me and YOU with great entertainment value , so  c'mon let's all pitch in !

I can't obviously enter a competition , which i am offering a prize for , it's just plain silly posting a T-shirt to myself , so i will just sit by and get  entertainment value out of the contest .

So off ya go and organise it , i'll do my bit and send the winner the prize , honest i will :-)

If other members can offer a small prize then we can have fun competitions till the cow's come home , as purple says the value ain't important , it's just for fun :-) (id be well into winning some of bigben's mussings (hint , hint ! )

Have fun all :-)
Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2005, 05:18 PM »
That's mighty kind of you, RF150, I suppose we could do something like that, too.  But, like most trivia runs and such on here, I think the goal is to "win" something of a "Trailer Park Boys" nature.  That is if the picture that would be posted would be of a TPB nature, as well :wink:

Anyone else have any thoughts on RF150's suggestion(s)?  :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Contests!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2005, 05:52 PM »
The trivia contest seemed too complicated to me. I like the Caption idea. Everyone has to donate a prize to enter and that way everyone wins. I'll donate a pair of drum sticks used by Fishy Neil.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Contests!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I'll see if I can hook up a bubbles autograph, but thats not for sure. If cat-dog is, and I'm sure he will be, ok with this idea, I'll start looking around for pictures to caption, and if anyone sees a good one PM me the link.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Contests!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Does mean that the contest is "ON"? DVS the organizer?
Let's go...Captions.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

purple_skwirrel

Contests!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2005, 10:15 PM »
Quote from: fishyneil
The trivia contest seemed too complicated to me. I like the Caption idea. Everyone has to donate a prize to enter and that way everyone wins. I'll donate a pair of drum sticks used by Fishy Neil.
Fishy

So, let me get this straight, "You gotta pay to play"?  :lol:

Quote from: Detriot Velvet Smooth
I'll see if I can hook up a bubbles autograph, but thats not for sure. If cat-dog is, and I'm sure he will be, ok with this idea, I'll start looking around for pictures to caption, and if anyone sees a good one PM me the link.

Quote from: fishyneil
Does mean that the contest is "ON"? DVS the organizer?
Let's go...Captions.
Fishy

Wait, I thought C-D was going to do it...

C-D?

cat-dog

Contests!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2005, 01:06 AM »
Well, I guess this doesn't really fall into the trivia category.. So I can gladly take care of getting things arranged, and setup.

Open to picture submissions though, I'll be looking myself, but if you find a good one, let me know.

Mr. Stupidy Head

Contests!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:07 PM »
:?: Say, is there an ETA on this caption business :?:

:lol: The MST3K geek in me wants out :!:

:roll: Okay, he's always out, but you get the point...