Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?  (Read 20631 times)

RumNCoke

What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:41 AM »
About 4 years ago my girlfriend at the time made us marinated chicken and rice for dinner. She mentioned the marinade had cinnamon in it (she was trying out a new recipe). When we sat at the table to eat the smell of cinnamon was very strong - heck, it's a strong spice. I don't know if she accidentally put in too much, or that's what the recipe called for, or whatever. I tried some and it was the most awful thing ever. The smell and the taste were ravaging my senses. I saw her eating and I knew I wouldn't be able to even come close to finishing it. I didn't have the heart to tell her how much I disliked it. After about 10 minutes of me pretty much picking at it she tells me: "I don't know about you but I don't like this." A huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I apologized, thanked her for the effort, and reciprocated. We then made fries. :)

I have strong opinions about what ingredients I consider "sweet" and what ingredients I consider "savory." I know some times, if properly executed, the combination of these two works well. But in my particular case the collision of worlds was a catastrophe.

What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten? Any kitchen disasters?

Becca

Re: What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 08:43 AM »
Quote from: RumNCoke
I knew I wouldn't be able to even come close to finishing it. I didn't have the heart to tell her how much I disliked it.

You, sir, are a prince amongst men.

The most disgusting, puke-provoking food I ever had to eat was liver.  I hate it with a passion consisting of a trillion burning suns. Ugh.

I was about 8 years old when my mom fried this shite for dinner for the nth time and I absolutely refused to eat it.  I wish I could say hilarity ensued but no ... my dad tried to force me, my brothers were shaking in their boots...  But did I eat it? No.  To this day, I refuse to eat that crap and I'm still as stubborn as I was so many years ago.

Honestly, the smell of cooked liver gives me a headache.  Just thinking about it now makes me queasy.

Cheers,
B.

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 08:43 AM »
After the first bite out of my mother-in-law's meatloaf, I knew something didn't "taste right."

While I had gotten used to "unexpected" things when she made dinner (she was forgetting things quite a bit at the time, so lack of sugar in a dessert was no real surprise, "Mmm, Mrs. B., this tastes great...") in no way could I have expected to chomp down on...brace yourselves...an eggshell.  No, that wasn't the worst of it, there was a piece of fingernail with that piece of eggshell, probably when the egg got cracked open...a thick one, too  :-&

Yup, I do consider that the most disgusting thing I've ever put my teeth into, but I wonder, since I didn't really eat it, does this really quailfy?  :wink:  Needless to say, whenever I knew she was going to make her homemade meatloaf agin, I'd eat at McD's around the corner on my way home from work.  I'd just tell her I had a late lunch, and I'd take my portion to work the next day for lunch.  The rats at the office building were happy, so it wasn't wasted...

JulianRocks

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2005, 09:07 AM »
LOL!! Yeah, that's pretty grosse p_s! :lol:  I think one of the worst meals on earth is hodge podge! Fresh beans make me gag and I honestly don't think that all those veggies are meant to be in the same pot! :lol:

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Canned [maw]phuckin' PEAS!

Cheers,
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

RumNCoke

Re: What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Quote from: Becca
You, sir, are a prince amongst men.

The most disgusting, puke-provoking food I ever had to eat was liver.

Thanks, I try.

I know how you feel about liver. I have a problem eating something that can be described as a "filter". Every once in a while my mom makes liver and onions. I have to admit it smells really good, but I wont eat it. I hate how it turns into a paste when you chew it - very odd texture. :-&

QAFgurl

• http://spaces.msn.com/members/stace1020/
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:13 AM »
OOO ya the canned peas BLA, any peas

Im with Becca, liver is the most disgusting thing ever...who wants an organ that pee has went through....HELLO and my parents when I was younger used to top the meal off with brussel sprouts, the 2 most disgusting things that I have ever EVER eaten!
Avoid the mourning after, don't drink and drive

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:17 AM »
Oh, I forgot, some things considered "normal" in many parts of the world, which I find GROSS to the max (after eating them)...

Blood sausage
Tongue
Headcheese

Haven't had [cow]brain, and in light of recent problems with cattle, I never will.

kcrocks

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Who actually enjoys entrails? Maybe with a nice chianti.
once a trailer park boy always a trailer park boy

trailerchick

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I'm with Becca on the liver thing....Parents used to make it once in awhile....dad would cover it in onions and bacon and ketchup for us,as if that was going mask the taste......gross shit. Also good call on the canned peas....

To the list ,I'll add canned Lima beans and canned beets.

Also Sushi....not so much the taste,but I just don't trust that the restaurant is taking proper care of the raw stuff.I read an article once that said health officials believed that over 1/2 the sushi places they looked into were not being food safe. Boyfriend loved the stuff until he got violently ill one night ...I took good care of him, and left the "I told ya so" for another time.

Also Haggis is truly gross. Our pub puts on a rockin Robbie Burns night every year...right down to piping in the Haggis...i decided to try it this year.Big mistake,I almost heaved it right back up onto a customer!

bajjer

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I enjoy the giblets [1] (Liver, gizzard [2], and heart) that are often found inside the cavity of poultry. Moreover, I also enjoy beef kidney, which is a filter for water borne waste, and [calves] liver, served with fried onions and semi-rigid bacon...yummy.

Sorry if the foregoing caused anyone angst.

Best regards,

Notes:

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=giblets
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gizzard
--Anonymous
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

bajjer

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Becca, et al.,

Do you have an objection to consumin' all varieties of organ meats?

Cheers,
--Anonymous

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I actually like liver with onions, but only "get to" eat it every 5 years or so at a little pub just outside of town that does it just right.  Please don't throw anything at me!

Kidney I will not eat.

bajjer

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Many, many years ago, when I still lived with my parents, my mom would occasionally prepare beef kidney to perfection. Here goes my account of the aforementioned [BEEF] kidney treat: soak beef kidney, rinsing it repeatedly. Then she would boil it, drain off the liquid and repeat several times until the water was clear. Next she would cut it into edible sized chunks and fry it with mushrooms and onions. It was served with coin/dollar shaped [real] potatoes that were fried in fresh oil (akin to homemade French fries). Additionally, she would have a tossed salad garnished with lemon, oil and salt to taste as the preferred dressing. I vividly recall the mood at dinner time; it was reminiscent of a family of sharks at feeding time - blissful chaos!

Truly Maw-phuckin' Yummy!

Cheers,
--Anonymous

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:30 AM »
LOL!  We ate the turkey giblet-thingys every Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was a kid.  My mom and I would fight over the kidneys - AUGH!  ew, looking back, blech  :-&

RumNCoke

« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:36 AM »
Quote from: bajjer
Becca, et al., Do you have an objection to consumin' all varieties of organ meats?

I actually like chicken hearts cooked in chicken soup. I like how they become chewy. I also like beef tongue. I tried goat brains a while back but I couldn't get past the soft texture so once was enough.

All this talk about organs reminds me of another story. One day after school I went into the kitchen and found a pot of stew simmering on the stove. I was really hungry and I needed something to tide me over until dinner time. I forked and ate a piece of meat. It was tough, very chewy. I forked and ate a second piece. It was soft and spongy. My mom walked into the kitchen and I asked her what was in the stew. Her reply: beef heart and lung. It wasn't bad actually, just unusual.

cat-dog

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:37 AM »
kraft dinner made with condensed milk powder.. not something i'd reccommend to ANYONE
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Tpb_ricky

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:43 AM »
i was bumming in a hole in the ground city now called utah and i was in this mexican restaraunt which is full of really spicy food and fat old men and they had the nastiest chilli ive ever seen and i went to the bathroom and some ugly fat scum bitten full of chillie mother fucker sprayed dirrieah all over the toilet and i couldnt eat no more food the whole night

RumNCoke

« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2005, 11:59 AM »
That's really sick, Tpb_ricky. Your story sounds very Reservoir Dog-ish. 8)

trailerchick

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2005, 12:08 PM »
Quote from: bajjer
I enjoy the giblets [1] (Liver, gizzard [2], and heart) that are often found inside the cavity of poultry.

my cat enjoys those as well :wink:

Witch-Ho

« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Quote from: cat-dog
kraft dinner made with condensed milk powder.. not something i'd reccommend to ANYONE

I would have DIED in the summer of 1997 if it weren't for powdered milk and boxed macaroni and cheese man!  How can you say it?  LOL.  I couldn't afford the Kraft though- just supermarket generics, we called Kraft the nice kind and would go all out when we could afford it and sometimes even add tuna.  Eww you say?  Ever been really protein deprived?

The nastiest food substance for me is hands down; Hostess brand cake products, especially those little sticky banana-nut muffins, and Twinkies.
I survived a summer (1990?  1993?)  off of boxes of those which an aquantance had stolen en-masse from a parked rig full of them- a couple hundred boxes, all lining the squat I was currently living on the floor of.  (I think I've told that here before but we have new posters blah blah)
Month two was pretty gruesome...

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Would that have been skim milk powder?  Only condensed, I think, is sweet, isn't it?

cat-dog

« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Quote from: Witch-Ho
Quote from: cat-dog

I would have DIED in the summer of 1997 if it weren't for powdered milk and boxed macaroni and cheese man!  How can you say it?  LOL.  I couldn't afford the Kraft though- just supermarket generics, we called Kraft the nice kind and would go all out when we could afford it and sometimes even add tuna.  Eww you say?  Ever been really protein deprived?

I dunno.. it just had some really terrible acidic taste.. wasn't "Kraft" brand either though. I actually prefer this "President's Choice" White Cheddar m&c better than anything.. its the cream of the crop. I don't even eat tuna regularily, so that ones out for me.. YUK YUK YUK :P
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2005, 02:16 PM »
LOL - please don't tell me you bought that [mac'n'cheese] from a dollar store, there are REASONS that stuff isn't sold at any reputable grocery store  :lol:

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Well, I never met a vegitable that I didn't like: raw cooked or over cooked in a can!
My mom works in a Hospital Lab and when the blood would expire ,the tecs would take turns bringing it home to feed their roses! Well ,one day I got home from school and found a tray of "chocolate" ontop of the fridge. It looked like my mom had a tray of cocoa for rolling or dusting on one of her famous deserts. So I stuck my finger in and had a big lick! Thats when I deduced that my mom had decided to dry out her latest share of HUMAN BLOOD to use later!

Beef tongue! (in retrospect) As a young child ,we lived on a very remote homestead ,10 miles past any roads. Our main protein source was seafood and eggs ,so red meat was a special treat. One day someone showed up with a big chunk of smoked meat and gave it to my sister and I (age 6 and 8?). Well ,we devoured it with glee.It was only later that we found out that it was a whole cow toungue! It was only years later that the thought of those taste buds grossed me out!

OK ,one more:

I spent 2 months in Mexico ,three time during my teens and early 20's. On the last trip I went to Barra De Navidad with 10 friends. We spent 2 months out of 10 weeks at one Hotel. Across the street was a cute little restauraunt "Los Arcos". I discovered that being a regular had huge perks ( ever increasing portion sizes untill they had more than doubled).After preparing  Huevos a la Mexicana ( mexican omlet ,rice beans and tortillas) for me about 50 times ,the wife of the pair ,refused! "Todas dias huevos a la Mexicana! No mas!" So they prepared their specialty; Chorizo! Well ,you may have had sausages called chorizo? Not the same! This was a large bowl of broth with long large lumpy pieces of pig fat (not a scrap of meat) They had been so generous in the past that proper etiquette was my only option! 14 years later, I can still feel those llumpy jiggly strips of fat in my mouth! The next day ,I went back to eggs and they never tried to serve me anything else that I didn't ask for.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?