Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Invison Board  (Read 2727 times)

Shit-rope

Invison Board
« on: Mar 31, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Perhaps it would be cool if this forum could be converted into an invision board. Invision boards have alot of cool features, and are much faster than php boards.

cat-dog

Re: Invison Board
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2004, 11:50 PM »
Quote from: Shit-rope
Perhaps it would be cool if this forum could be converted into an invision board. Invision boards have alot of cool features, and are much faster than php boards.

I'm a big supporter of open source software, as well as cost efficient software, neither of which include invision. I can't afford $69 a year to pay for forum software, to get features that probably aren't worth the money. And I'd rather not take the illegal approach with a cracked copy and have trouble with the site at some point down the road if anyone were to ever find out. I'm not as good as Ricky with cops :)
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

sunrunner_pei

• http://www.gaownersclub.com
Invison Board
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:09 AM »
I gotta agree. Stick with phpBB, it's a great forum package.  :drunk:

I ran phpBB 1.4.4 for a long time on my own forums and had great success with it.  I've since switched over to vBulletin, but as you know, that's not free.
Bible Pimp - "Can you read my son?"

Bubbles - "Well that depends...  Can you go fuck yourself?"

cat-dog

Invison Board
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:30 AM »
I think the only thing I'm finding a bit annoying about phpBB (and it may be true for other board software as well) is how unorganized/messy the actual code can get, mixing PHP with HTML code, etc.. When I started out working on the theme for this forum I didn't notice it as much, but after spending 2-3 hours last night trying to fix some stupid colour problems, I was nearly pulling my hair out when I finally discovered where the settings were hiding.  ](*,)
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

sunrunner_pei

• http://www.gaownersclub.com
Invison Board
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:36 AM »
I think a lot of that came along in phpBB 2.  Version 1 wasn't as bad, but it didn't have any templates at all to edit.  You had to modify database entries (through the admin panel) or edit the php files themselves.

vBulletin is much more organized this way, and editing of various templates is very easy.  At least with version 2.  vB 3.0 has a lot more going on, and I'm hesitant to upgrade.  Of course, with software like that, you gotta pay the price.  With vB, it's an $85US/year lease.  Ouch.
Bible Pimp - "Can you read my son?"

Bubbles - "Well that depends...  Can you go fuck yourself?"

Double U

Invison Board
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 03:45 PM »
You can get invision for free from my host. I have 3 forums from them and sites..

http://7thcav.teamzeroclan.com

www.teamzeroclan.com/forum

www.modern-warfare.com/forum

I can do custom designs for forums as well and I would be willing to hook you guys up. If you need a new host I can hook you up with that as well. Super Cheap prices! PM me if your interested and I can give you some more information

px

Invison Board
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 05:11 PM »
As cat-dog mentioned above "cost efficient" .. I highly doubt any webhosting company would be able to compete with the price he pays right now to host it for free with me. :)

And the price it costs me to host it?  Free. hehe.. thanks for the offer though, if the bandwith usage ever becomes a burden, cat-dog will know where to look.. :)

Double U

Invison Board
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 07:46 PM »
5 bucks a month, ill pay for it if the people want Invision, they are an amazing forum. Anything for the Trailer Park Boys :)

Insane

Invison Board
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 09:02 PM »
why would you change what already works great and look good?

px

Invison Board
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Quote from: Double U
5 bucks a month, ill pay for it if the people want Invision, they are an amazing forum. Anything for the Trailer Park Boys :)

The thing is, I have 100% control over this server, the DNS and all the changes.   If cat-dog needs anything done or decides he wants to add a new feature that requires me to compile something and install it on the server, I can do that.  Not many inexpensive web hosting companies give you that much control.  It would also be a burden to move everything over and get it setup perfectly again.  Although I can not make the decision for cat-dog, I don't see any reason why he'd want to make the switch when things are going well so far and we have 100% control over anything that needs to be done.  Not 70%, 80% or 90%.

Double U

Invison Board
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 05:19 AM »
Alright thats cool. If you change your mind anytime just hit me up with a PM

InsaneHobo

Invison Board
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Invision is OK.  But phpBB is a lot user-friendly and easier.

vBulletin is way kick ass though, it would be easier to make a really cool skin..

But stick with phpBB..