Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: 'Prince of Pot' Marc Emery Sentenced to Five Years in Jail  (Read 4413 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Canada's self-proclaimed "Prince of Pot" has been sentenced  to five years in U.S. prison for selling marijuana seeds to customers  south of the border.
Longtime Vancouver cannibis [sic] crusader Marc Emery was handed the  decision in a Seattle District Court Friday afternoon. The ruling included four years of supervised release for the 52-year-old once he  finishes his jail term.

U.S. authorities maintain that Emery was the country's largest  supplier of marijuana seeds for more than a decade until his 2005  indictment for conspiracy to manufacture marijuana, and that his  activities were linked to illegal grows operations across America.

Emery claimed what he was doing wasn't illegal because he was only selling the marijuana seeds, not the plants.
At sentencing, U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez disagreed,  telling him "there is no question your actions were illegal and  criminal and your actions ensured that others broke the law and  suffered the consequences."
U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan said Emery believed the laws didn't apply to him.

"[He] put his personal profits above the law. He made millions of  dollars by shipping millions of seeds into the U.S. He sold to anyone  who would pay him -- with no regard for the age or criminal activities  of his customers. Now, Emery is paying the price for being part of the  illegal drug trade that damages lives, homes and the environment."

Emery was extradited to the U.S. in May.

In a plea agreement, he admitted he operated a seed distribution  business, Marc Emery District, selling seeds to customers across the  U.S. He also operated a retail store in Vancouver's Gastown  neighbourhood, as well as filling mail and telephone orders.

Prosecutors said Emery sold seeds to undercover Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents multiple times in 2004 and 2005.

Two of his employees, Michelle Rainey, 39, and Gregory Keith  Williams, 54, were sentenced to two years of probation for conspiracy  to manufacture marijuana.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100910/bc_marc_emery_100910/20100910?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

"Prosecutors said Emery sold seeds to undercover Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents multiple times in 2004 and 2005." Haha, that made me laugh. How many times did they have to buy from him before they were sure he was doing something wrong? Yeah guys, research...  :6paper:

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 09:19 AM by Tiggy Puddin »

hashdriveway

Re: 'Prince of Pot' Marc Emery Sentenced to Five Years in Jail
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Of course if it fits their M.O. they will claim he hurt homes, lives and the environment. In the USA harming the environment isn't usually regulated but I guess we can make an exception for such a hardened criminal.

Vancouver

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Harpers a disgrace. how can he allow a CANADIAN CITIZEN to be pulled outta CANADA to be punished for a crime so minor here but not so minor in the states...be veryvery afraid.
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

xhippie

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 05:16 PM »
i apologize for my countries actions..again.with all the shit going on in the world this wasn't neccesary.

hashdriveway

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2010, 06:52 AM »
he embarrassed people who now want to get revenge. Justice is supposed to be blind but she's actually a rather petty bitch

Sh1tAbyss

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:53 PM »
This case makes me a little sheepish around Canadians, because I'm so ashamed of my country's penal system's treatment of Emery. Since he has been incarcerated here in the states he's been moved a couple of times, gotten his job in the jail library yanked from him for "teaching the Mexicans too much" (he evidently managed to expand the library's very limited Spanish-language book inventory) been bitten on the ass by a brown recluse and is now being moved again. This psychological terrorism is unnecessary for such a non-violent offender. Worse yet, now that many medi-pot facilities in California are waking up to how much bigger their income potential is with pot still mostly illegal, they are turning on Marc despite all he did for their cause when Prop 215 was still waiting to become law. The cynicism of the medipot people depresses me. I hate to get started on this topic because I have difficulty shutting up about it.

Not to sound all preachy, but if the boys or Randy and Lahey or all of them started showing Marc solidarity on their tour dates I bet it would help raise awareness. I know I'd help them spread the word down here. Just a thought...

cinthb

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2011, 05:58 PM »
  I love my country, but I hate what it has become.  Mr. Emery is around my age, and a Canadian doing 5 years in American prison, for a seed selling operation?
  25 years ago, we walked around a college campus in Michigan right in front of cops, and everybody during an annual event called Hash bash.
  Possession of weed was a $5.00 offense. 
...and the reason for this hypocrisy is what?  U.S. politicians, and lawmakers don't answer to the people anymore!  The media giants pull all the strings.  Startin' to really wish I was kanuckish.  :toke:

P.S. In case anyone was not aware of the Brown Recluse, I'll tell you, it's a highly venomous spider.  It's small, but it's poison will kill flesh.

Sh1tAbyss

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Wow, that's harsh man. :( Not only are they denying him transfer to Canada but they're moving him from minimum to medium security. What did the guy do to deserve this? I guess if you complain about the conditions of the prison you're incarcerated in then they fuck you over. Big time.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Here's a link to Marc's blog. I guess the US authorities don't want you to read it, so please feel free to read it.

http://freemarc.ca/

Personally, I find it an interesting insight into what goes on in the US jail system.

iheartricky

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2011, 01:56 PM »
The jail system here is so screwed up.

"This is drugs?"

shake

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2011, 02:19 PM »
This case makes me a little sheepish around Canadians, because I'm so ashamed of my country's penal system's treatment of Emery.

It's not just the fault of the American system.  The fact is we have a right-wing fanatic Bush clone as our Prime Minister, if any other party was in power they would have fought harder to bring him home.  Actually Harper probably would be harsher on him than the Americans.  Again Canadians use your vote wisely and get the Cons out of power!

Sh1tAbyss

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:09 AM »
I'm taking it as a given that all of you Canadians are going to be on board with Dunsworth's "Vote and Toke" event on Election Day. Since May 2 is NOT an election day down here, I'll just do the "toke" part. But I'll do it like I mean it!

shake

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I see Emery is now back in Canada, a free man!  Apparently he is going to go on a national tour campaigning hard against Harper and his Con party.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2014, 09:20 AM »
The cross Canada tour will be done with his wife, who was in TPB3 as the pro-legalization speaker at the hearing.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I see Emery is now back in Canada, a free man!  Apparently he is going to go on a national tour campaigning hard against Harper and his Con party.

Now there's a debate I'd like to see, Emery vs. Harper. I doubt Stevie is man enough.