Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: New series Haven on Showcase, John Dunsworth among the cast!  (Read 39632 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Showcase will premiere the new sci-fi mystery series Haven on 12 July (it will be shown in the US on the Syfy network on 9 July). It's based on a story by Stephen King, and centres on a young detective (Emily Rose) investigating the mysterious goings-on in a small town.

John Dunsworth is among the cast, and there will probably be a few other familiar faces from Sunnyvale (I saw Officer Ted Johnson on set a few days ago!) And of course anyone who lives or has visited Nova Scotia will recognize "Haven" as Lunenburg, Hubbards and Chester.

I can't find any trailers featuring JD, but if you look closely at the photo in the paper, you may see a Tiggy-like onlooker peering at a dead body...!   :lol:

Syfy HAVEN 30 Trailer 2

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 06:22 PM by Tiggy Puddin »

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Re: New series Haven on Showcase, John Dunsworth among the cast!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2010, 06:54 PM »
That's friggin' wicked Tiggy 8) I did pause it on the photo of the paper and saw a distinctive figure. Nice one. I'm glad the satellite dish Ricky installed for me gets the series.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

JAG

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I paused it too.  8) Well now I have even more of a reason to look forward to this series. Thank goodness we get SyFy!
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

Ms Vee

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I love Stephen King creepy movies/TV shows.  I am marking my calender for this one.  8)

Chantal

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Hey, that's awesome, Tiggy! :D I've been following the news about this series for a while too! I had to check out the book, just to see how much John's character factors in. It seems to me like he'll be a bit of a villain, but also sort of a narrator? Anyway, hopefully they don't change the plot of the series too much from the novella, because it sounded pretty cool!

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2010, 09:28 PM »
That's very cool indeed Tiggy  8)   Yep I paused on the newspaper as well  :)

hashdriveway

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2010, 09:03 AM »
nice

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Look out for me in ep 2 playing a dinner guest and I'm possibly in ep 6(?) as well! It's quite weird that shooting is taking place while the series is airing, the scene I did this week will be on the show very soon.  :shock:

I'm not sure who JD's character is, but I hear he will be making a regular appearance, which is awesome. I think the series is going to run for quite a while, so it may not be that faithful to the book?

Chantal

« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I'm not sure who JD's character is, but I hear he will be making a regular appearance, which is awesome.

I heard that John will be playing David Teague, co-owner of Haven's local newspaper. In the book he's a mysterious creepy old man who shares the town's secrets with the protagonist. They could take his character in a bit of a different direction for sure, but that's the general outline of him! I think.

shake

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Cool stuff, I look forward to this! 

Delores Claiborne was another movie based on a written work by Stephen King shot in Nova Scotia, it is still one of my favorite movies.

Chantal

« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2010, 04:48 PM »
I just grabbed the post I made on June 11th over at the Trailer Park Boys LiveJournal community, after I first did a bit of snooping into the show, so here's what I gathered about John's character, and about the show itself:

This is not spoiler-y at all, in case you're paranoid about stuff like that. It's just a synopsis of the show, as well as a quick outline of John's character in the actually novella. :)

Hey guys! We have something to look forward to from John in July! July 12th, actually, on Showcase, Stephen King's mini-series Haven will be premiering! The show is based on King's novella The Colorado Kid, and is about a small, creepy town in Maine where its cursed population live seemingly normal lives in exile. When their curses start to resurface after years, FBI agent Audrey Parker is brought in to keep those supernatural forces at bay - while delving deeper into the secrets of Haven.

Now, I've been able to find out that John is playing David Teagues, who is the owner of Haven's newspaper along with his brother Vince. In the novella The Colorado Kid his character's name is Dave Bowie though, so clearly some changes are being made to characters - which is   usually the case with Stephen King TV or film adaptations! Anyway, to give you an idea of his character in the novella, here is a piece of book review from OpenZine   that's pretty relevant to Dave and Vince's characters!

Our story starts with Stephanie McCann. Working for The Weekly Islander before she starts out into the big world of newspaper reporting, Stephanie is astounded to learn that Vince Teague and Dave Bowie, the two old cronies who run The Weekly Islander, are hiding a real unsolved mystery inside their gray haired heads. The two old men decide to let Stephanie in on the unsolved mystery, hoping that it will make her one of them, an Islander.

So, it seems that Dave Teague is quite a main character - which I really hope doesn't change. I'd love to see John in another semi-main role like he did with Jim Lahey, and at the same time it's so awesome to see him doing something different, but something TV that we'll all be able to watch, because I'm still disappointed that I couldn't go see him perform in No Great Mischief.

So in any case! July 12th! Showcase! Be there and support the man! And one last thing, John took some time from the set of Haven to talk about method-acting! Here he is, always the entertainer:

John Dunsworth - Serious about Acting

Chantal

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2010, 09:58 AM »
So, I'm a loser, and I was so preoccupied on Monday night that I missed Haven. I know of a link on Hulu, but that's American-only, and for some reason the streaming episode on Showcase.ca doesn't work for me. Does anyone know if Showcase will be showing repeats? Or if there's anywhere else I might be able to catch the first episode?

Thanks!

shake

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2010, 05:34 PM »
I missed it too.  The tv jibby jabby says it is on Thur at 11 on Showcase

Chantal

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Yeeah, I don't know how I misread the guide on TV. Ugh, summer vacation is terrible. Lol! With nothing to do I was basically counting down the hours today until it was on, and now I'll have to do that all over again tomorrow. Ah well, I started a sketch of John today, maybe I'll pass the time tomorrow by finishing that!

Ms Vee

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I missed it too!  But that's good that it is on again tomorrow. Thanks, Shake!
Did anyone catch it?  :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Shake. I've set my DVR to record it if I forget.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Chantal

« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Hey again. I'll probably be practically living on this thread while the show is airing! But I was reading up on the cast today, checking to see what other projects they've done, and I see that Richard Donat is in it! Richard Donat, if I'm not mistaken, played one of the judges in TPB, but I cannot for the life of me remember which season/episode! :-s

shake

« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Yeah he was at the season 7 Premiere party, I remember he was in season 7.  He's been in a lot of good stuff, here's his

IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0232195/

I thought he was in "Daily Tips for Modern Living", Greg Twomey from 22 Minutes' show, but it doesn't appear there.  That show was hilarious, Trevor even had a bit part in it.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 08:09 PM by shake »

Chantal

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Oh cool, thanks Shake! I knew that had to be where he was from. And looking at his IMDB I see he is in a few other things I recognize too. Hah, good to see him and John teaming up as the Teagues brothers for Haven! 8)

shake

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Ha ha love it already!  She'd rather die than listen to Love Will Keep Us Together :)  I see Mary Colin Chisholm is in it, she was in CTLD.  Looks good!

Chantal

« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:33 PM »
Yeah. I am really, really liking this show. Especially Duke! The writing is great, really witty!

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:58 PM »
I caught the last 15 to 20 minutes Monday evening and just mow - bummer :roll:.  Pretty neat seein' lots of local scenery.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 11:00 PM by bajjer »
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

Chantal

« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Yeah. Not local for me, but still really, really nice location. I've been thinking about traveling out to NS one year. I'm short on money now, being in the middle of university, but one day I'll definitely have to make a trip out.

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Yeah. Not local for me, but still really, really nice location. I've been thinking about traveling out to NS one year. I'm short on money now, being in the middle of university, but one day I'll definitely have to make a trip out.
Summer term...?
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

Chantal

« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Oh no, I get summers off, but I mean the money still isn't there, because I'm working to earn it. Anyway, one good thing is that I have a lot of family in NS so I wouldn't be out of places to live at all.