Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Gord Downie (and the Country of Miracles)  (Read 5965 times)

Chantal

Gord Downie (and the Country of Miracles)
« on: Jul 01, 2010, 11:27 PM »
You know I just had to start a topic for him. I surprised myself by not doing it sooner! So how many of you have bought or listened to The Grand Bounce? I pre-ordered a signed copy from Maple Music, but I got impatient, so I ended up buying it through iTunes as well. Hah, anything to support Gord, right?

Anyway, I'm loving it. Moonslow Yer Lashes is one of the most amazing songs of all time, and I hope he plays it live when I go see him next weekend in Sudbury! YAY! Anyone else caught any of his shows yet? What did you think?

shake

Re: Gord Downie (and the Country of Miracles)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I'll be seeing him at the Bluesfest next week!  I saw him perform with this band there a few years back, it was a great show!  I love his solo CDs

shake

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Oh yeah I should mention that one of his band members kept shouting out TPB quotes in between songs :)

Chantal

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2010, 10:43 AM »
LOL! Really? Sweet! That would make a lot of sense if they were playing The Hard Canadian, since the song was inspired by a Mike Clattenburg quote!

JAG

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I also pre-ordered the autographed copy from Maple Music.  8) I like the cd, a few of the songs have really stuck with me. I am supposed to see Gord tomorrow at the Hard Rock Niagara, except my 8 year old went from telling me that his "head hurt" about 2 hours ago, to a fever of over 104. If there isn't a BIG improvement tomorrow I don't see me going anywhere.  :( I have to work early in the morning too...IF he is doing better, so we shall see. My magic 8 Ball is reading "Outlook Not So Good" right now. (I could ask my mom to come over, but then I'd feel like the worst parent on the planet.)
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

Chantal

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Oh no! That really sucks, JAG. Well, for your kid's sake and for your own, I really hope they feel better by tomorrow!

Chantal

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I also pre-ordered the autographed copy from Maple Music.  8) I like the cd, a few of the songs have really stuck with me.

By the way, which songs stuck with you? My favourites on the album are The Dance and It's Disappearance, The Drowning Machine, Moonslow Yer Lashes and, of course, The East Wind. :D

Chantal

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2010, 07:34 PM »
OMG. I went to see Gord and the Country of Miracles last night. Blew me away! I still don't have a voice today from singing along to everything. What's more is that my friend and I got to sit through their sound-check where they played through Retrace, Moonslow Yer Lashes (which Gordon had fun with because my friend and I (the only ones there watching) were standing in as the hand-clappers for the band) and... I don't remember the third song! I think it was The Never-Ending Present! Anyway, after that sound-check we had to wait for another five hours or so, but at least we got that mini concert, and the actual concert was worth the wait.

There were no barriers or anything at the stage, so I stood front and center, which was perfect since I'd made a sign for Gordon! LOL! I showed it to him during The Hard Canadian. It said "I LOVE YOU LIKE RANDY LOVES CHEESEBURGERS" and when he saw it he almost laughed through the first few lines of the song!

After the concert I stuck around with my friend, to see if I could get Gordon to sign my sign. After talking to Dave, the drummer from the Country of Miracles, he went to get Gordon, and my friend and I got to talk to him for fifteen minutes or so! He was adorable. Honestly? Exactly the way I expected him to be, just quiet and kind and funny, and reeeally really attractive in person, holy shit. Tall too!

And with that, I've met my two favourite people! John Dunsworth, and Gordon Downie. I feel so, so lucky. Now I have three pictures I took from the sound-check, the concert, and the meeting. Well, my friend took the one of he and I, but you know. XD

Shit machine gun

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Awesome, must be nice to meet someone you really look up to and admire.  That's how I felt when i met Fishy.

Good persistence Chantal
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2010, 10:56 PM »
That's excellent Chantal!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2010, 08:11 AM »
That must have been such a thrill for you Chantal. Almost as thrilling as meeting the great SMG.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Awesome story and pictures Chantal  8)

Chantal

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Thank you guys! It was really, really awesome! 8)

shake

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I saw this on Facebook

Gord Downie and The Country of Miracles stopped by the Dakota Tavern to play a few tracks. Check out their performance on CMT at 10pm ET/PT TONIGHT!

shake

« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I didn't know I had CMT, so I didn't try and record it.  Apparently I do and it's on again tonight at 11.

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Wow, cool story Chantal!  :D

Chantal

« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2010, 01:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Shake! 8)

And thank you Tiggy! It was awesome!

JAG

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Chantel! That is amazing! What an incredible story! One, that I am sure, you will NEVER forget. I am so sorry that I didn't get to see the show. There was no way I could go with my son so sick. (He ended up at the ER followed by his 2 younger brothers a few days later.)

As for my favourite songs on the album I like "The East Wind", "Gone" "The Hard Canadian" and "Yellow Days". That is not to say that I don't like the other songs on the album! It is just that those are the ones that stick with me the most. As a matter of fact, I play "The East Wind" on my way to work every weekend. It takes me exactly that long to get from my driveway to the driveway at work.

Not a bad way to start my morning at work.  8)
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."

Chantal

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2010, 01:42 PM »
I definitely won't forget it, JAG. :P And I'm sorry you couldn't go to your Niagara Falls show, but I guess your kids must be feeling better? :)

Hah, The East Wind would definitely be a good way to start the morning!

JAG

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2010, 06:45 PM »
The boys are doing better, thanks. It was a nasty, scary virus for about 48 hours though!

I am disappointed about the Niagara show, but maybe I'll be able to catch another show? You never know.
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Copy that."

Chantal

« Reply #20 on: Jul 21, 2010, 06:54 PM »
You might be able to! I know Gord has a few dates planned for the fall in Oakville and places around there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a North Bay show, or maybe another Sudbury show!

Vancouver

« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2010, 10:05 AM »
RightON Chantal!! great pics!
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!