Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Monty Python turns 40!  (Read 9584 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Monty Python turns 40!
« on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Here's a monumental anniversary I missed, but the first episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus were aired 40 years ago this month. And was probably viewed by about eight people on its launch, mostly the cast's mums and two stoned hippies.  :lol:

It wasn't the first surreal comedy on TV (Spike Milligan's Q set the standard for weird), but where would we be without Bicycle Repair Man, the Spam song, and the Spanish Inquisition? I shudder to think. If they had pitched this show in 2009, they'd be shown the door due to its lack of reality ice dancing and home renovation content.  :roll:

At the risk of starting a major argument, what are the best Python sketches?

shake

Re: Monty Python turns 40!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Some people like looking for arguments :)

I'd have to say that Monty Python had a huge influence on my life, I love it!

Too hard to pick a fav sketch

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I do not think that I can possibly pick a favorite Monty Python sketch.  There are so many.  But here are a couple  :lol:  :rofl:

[youtube=425,350]523uxFMUTGA[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523uxFMUTGA

[youtube=425,350]13JK5kChbRw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Starting tonight on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) will be a six part documentary of Monty Python called "Almost the Truth the Lawyers Cut"  :lol:  Looks great.  Times are 9pm Eastern and Pacific. Starting tonight and running through Friday.  I'm going to be watching of course.  I know nothing about or is it aboot ? IFC Canada however  :-s

http://www.ifc.com/monty-python-almost-truth-lawyers-cut/

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, David. Four of the Pythons were on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon recently (utter chaos!) and mentioned the documentary.
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

xhippie

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:01 AM »
i don't know about a favorite sketch but my most favorite movie of all time is monty python and the holy grail..from start to finish that movie is just too damn funny!

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I really have been enjoying and learning a lot from this documentary.  Last part is tonight. Which is absolutely and positivity the last documentary the Pythons will do....until the next one  :lol:  Tonights might be sad though since it deals with their last film "The Meaning of Life" and the death of Graham Chapman  :(  But fear not for those who have not seen it yet.  Because Amazon.com already has it available for pre-order (Oct 27th is the release date)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FE5XU6/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p74_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06HRPPW0QFQWQGQJKATD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Ok just one more classic clip from The Life of Brian :rofl:

[youtube=425,350]WlBiLNN1NhQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

JAG

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2009, 03:06 PM »
I watched the "Monty Python, Almost the Truth..." on IFC too. Last night I watched "Life of Brian" again.  :D The husband guy tried to watch but he just "doesn't get that dry English humour."  :roll: Gee, maybe 'cause his parents didn't allow it in the house. (There are still some of us Irish with a chip on our shoulders when it comes to all things English... :roll: *cough IN-LAWS cough*)

In high school, I could quote most of "The Holy Grail". One of the funniest movies ever!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9V7zbWNznbs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2009, 03:15 PM by JuliansAmericanGirl »
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

JAG

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2009, 03:22 PM »
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPGb4STRfKw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPGb4STRfKw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2009, 07:42 PM »
At the risk of starting a major argument, what are the best Python sketches?

Some people like looking for arguments :)

Well if someone is looking for an argument  :lol:

[youtube=425,350]kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for the full version DBB 8) I assume you subscribe to the MP youtube site.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Coleharbourjim

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:55 AM »
 Hmmm, I remember fighting with my mother to see the first episode of monty....but ITV had Tomorrows World which she just had to see for some reason.
  My fav skit would have to be...Nudge nudge (wink wink)

[youtube=425,350]jT3_UCm1A5I[/youtube]
"I got responcibles now"
06/07 Org Football Fantasy Champion

dicknweed

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Two Monty Python movies on tonight (Sunday Oct 25th) on Bravo network in Canada.
Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer's Cut) and the Meaning of Life. FYI, DNW  :bubs:

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2009, 03:01 PM »
I assume you subscribe to the MP youtube site.
Fishy

Yes Fishy I sure do..  :)

tonight (Sunday Oct 25th) on Bravo network in Canada.
Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer's Cut) and the Meaning of Life. FYI, DNW  :bubs:

That was just on down in the USA last week DNW.  Almost the truth (The Lawyers Cut) is a six part documentary.  I enjoyed it quite a bit. 

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:19 PM »
same here enjoyed the fuck out of it , very glad they did it before another one died! i cant believe how old they must be alrdy! Cleese was appearently in his 50s?? in some of the last stuff.

It was the best new Monty Python stuff we can expect next to getting new sketches or a movie ofc:p I have to agree with Palon in the end it wouldn't be the same without Graham!
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009, 12:21 PM by Djet3k »
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

English Bastard

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Bigus Dickus has been posted so it's got to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

xhippie

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:13 PM »
i actually have the monty python's flying circus to thank for me finding out about the boys,
it was on right after on bbc america.

well the basterized(or however you spell that word ) version with all the curses beeped out.

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Yay good news indeed :clap: :clap: :D
'Absolutely Anything' will reunite Monty Python gang
                             Monty-Python-new
   How do you tell a reunion movie? For starters, if it looks like one — and Absolutely Anything certainly looks like one. EW has confirmed that Anything,   a sci-fi farce that will combine CGI and live action, is in development   and on track to reassemble the old Monty Python gang. Python alum Terry   Jones developed the story — it’s about a group of aliens who use an   earthling as their plaything — with Gavin Scott. Jones is also set to   direct.
At present, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, and Michael Palin are all   signed on to the film. “Eric [Idle] knows about the project” but isn’t   confirmed yet, said producer Chris Chesser. Also producing is Mike   Medavoy (Black Swan), who goes back as far as 1979′s Life of Brian   with the Python crew. An inspired addition to the troupe, Robin   Williams will lend his voice to a wry talking dog named Dennis, and   Medavoy hopes he will sign on for a live-action role as well.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Can't wait to see this 8)
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

cinthb

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Started this thread at the top, and had similar trouble thinking of a favorite skit.  But was reminded finally at the end;

"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam!!!"  :lol:

The 'Cockney in drag' dialog in particular, always gave me a chuckle.
  So much so, one Halloween about 10 yrs. ago I bought a flowery housecoat, slip, water balloon filled bra, a wig, scarf, and a large handbag filled with questionable contents as well.  Stayed in character for over three hrs. and confused several friends, and acquaintances as to my identity, and actual gender.   :shock: :-s 
 Ellow, ellow, ellow!!!  True story.  :D

iheartricky

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Good news indeed!

"This is drugs?"

AndrewPants

« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I love anything Monty Python.... Here are some favorite's of mine.
Lumber jack song
Silly Job Interview - Monty Python
Monty Python - Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook
:perv1:
"Hey Lahey, knock, knock."-Ricky
"Who's there?"-Lahey
"Mr. Stupidy Head is fucking pissing me off right now, thinks he's captain of the shitliner, and by the way, your fish sticks suck, so fuck off and open the gate!"-Ricky

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Good News  :D

Monty Python Reuniting for New Stage Show

Time to get your silly walk on!

Terry Jones confirmed on Tuesday, Nov 19, that he and the four other surviving members of Monty Python are indeed reuniting.

"We're getting together and putting on a show—it's real," Jones told BBC News . "I'm quite excited about it. I hope it makes us a lot of money. I hope to be able to pay off my mortgage!"

Jones' statement comes on the heels of The Sun 's headline the day before that read, "Monty Python Is Set to Be a Flying Circus All Over Again."

The reunion, which will bring together Jones, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Eric Idle, is expected to be announced officially on Thursday at a press conference at The Playhouse Theatre in London's West End, where Monty Python's Spamalot is currently running.

A sixth founding member, Graham Chapman, died of cancer in 1989.

The group first found success with their zany sketch series, Monty Python's Flying Circus, which debuted in 1969 on the BBC, before hitting it big on the silver screen with such films as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.

cinthb

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Graham Chapman is just resting.

gabety

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I remember my late father watching Monty Python on PBS in America.  I was still a kid and didn't catch on.  It took a few years but the humor caught up with me.  I think the best, hands down is the "Life of Brian". 
Ho Ho's and Ding Dongs are not the same thing!